Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have an iMac with Yosemite and Office for Mac 2011. On…

Customer Question
I have an iMac...

I have an iMac with Yosemite and Office for Mac 2011. On occasion, I copy text from websites into a Word doc and Word will freeze. I did it last week and can't do anything to stop getting the rotating ball. I have to constantly use forced quit to recover. Other Office programs work fine. It's only Word that is crashing.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a Force Quit on your frozen iMac (pressing and holding Option, Command, and Escape)?

I use the force quit constantly because 5 seconds after I start Word I get the rotating ball.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I have tried to download the Office 2011 updates rom Microsoft but my Max won't let me open them because they didn't come from the Mac Store and I couldn't find updates there.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mac
I downloaded the Office 2011-14.2.0 and 14.4.8 updates from Microsoft hoping their fixes would solve the problem but my Mac would not open these because they didn't come from the Apple store.
3/8/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Bhavik Joshi, Computer Software Engineer replied 3 months ago
Bhavik Joshi
Bhavik Joshi, Computer Software Engineer

Hi, I'm Bhavik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will reply back ASAP.

To override your security settings and open the app anyway:

1. In the Finder, locate the app you want to open.

Don’t use Launchpad to do this. Launchpad doesn’t allow you to access the shortcut menu.

2. Control-click the app icon, then choose Open from the shortcut menu.

3. Click Open.

The app is saved as an exception to your security settings, and you can open it in the future by double-clicking it just as you can any registered app.

Note: You can also grant an exception for a blocked app by clicking the “Open Anyway” button in the General pane of Security & Privacy preferences. This button is available for about an hour after you try to open the app.

To open this pane, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Security & Privacy, then click General.

I hope this will fix your issue, Let me know how it goes !!

Am trying the above. Step 1, 2 and 3 didn't work. I still got the ball when I opened Word. I did get the two updates I downloaded to open up but Mac won't install them because it is missing some software. So the question is whether you know why Word locked up and remained so when I copied and tried to paste some text from a news website I use all the time, or not. Also, if I can't find some way to stop Word from failing to open, is the only recourse to trash it and reload?
On the remote fix, no thanks.
Bhavik, are you still there?
I have a question. Does your service cut out if I refuse remote access or does this 7-day free period for which I paid $5 really provide service? Just wondering since I've been sitting her for 20 minutes waiting for a response to my last question .

I just saw your message.Give me a minute.

Yes, I think you should trash it and the reinstall it.

remote fix optional and not required . It is automated notification which comes up on your page. You can ignore it and continue with this chat option.

You can use below link to get the tool which will help you in removing it :-

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/troubleshoot-office-2011-for-mac-issues-by-completely-uninstalling-before-you-reinstall-ba8d8d13-0015-4eea-b60b-7719c2cedd17?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Also, I would advice you to switch to newer version of office. Let me know if you need more info on it. We can have call as well if required.

Thanks. After 20 years of buying MS junk (I owned a computer s/w company that worked with MS in using their developer kits. We had bad experiences with them.), I'm tired of paying them thousands for newer versions that merely scramble icons. So I'm going to see if I can get a reload of 2011 which I already bought before I trash Word. If not, then I won't have any choice except to either buy a new Office or move to Linux. For now, thanks. I'm going to try something tomorrow.

Alright !

Let me know how it goes! We will discuss it later if rrequired.

Did this work for you ?