Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I was editing photos, was distracted for an hour, cam back…

Customer Question
I was editing photos...

I was editing photos, was distracted for an hour, cam back to find a white screen with the apple in the middle, and a note blew it saying : “Installation is in progress. Calculating time remaining.... with the “thermometer “ stuck at about 3/4 complete. I left it for an hour with no progress! Then turned it off. If I turn it back on I get to the same screen and no farther. Virus or other hack?

Technician's Assistant: When was the last time you updated the Operating System (OS) on your Mac or device?

Not sure but I do it whenever m told to, certainly within 30-60 days. Device is a 5 year old iMac

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Don’t think so. I only use this device for photo and movie editing (occasionally check email) nowadays at home I fairly frequently get an evanescnt note that another device is on or recently used my home WiFi but it is always described in a way that makes me think it lives here.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
3/8/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 4 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer.com! I am Justin. I am sorry for the length of time you have been waiting. With that in mind are you still in need of assistance?

I can't boot the computer past this screen and I'm worried that something nefarious may be happening as I don't remember asking for or authorizing any "installation" i was just editing photos on a program called Affinity Photo, left the job four an hour and came back to this notification that as installation was in progress. How do I get past this screen ?
I can't securely connect because I can't turn on the computer. I'm communicating with my Android phone.

Ok. The next step to resolve this is a reinstall. Something has broken in the update and the reinstall will repair it.

Reinstall Instructions

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately hold Command (⌘)-R

2. Release the keys when you see the Apple logo or a spinning globe.

3. When you see the macOS Utilities window, click Reinstall macOS.

Please let me know if there is anything you need during this process.