Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My macbook pros built in camera isn't working. High sierra.

Customer Question
So my macbook pros...

So my macbook pros built in camera isn't working

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your MacBook?

High sierra

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your MacBook? What have you tried so far?

For around 6 months to a year, I just haven't needed it until now I tried the sudo killall command in my terminal

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

But it spit out no matching processes were found

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
3/7/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 4 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question about camera. I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Have you used it before?

If you would like remote support please select the Secure Remote Assistance option. If you do not want remote support please ignore the prompt.

I have used it before
It's been about 6 months to a year since the last time I used it though
hello?

What application are you trying to use it in?

Skype

Try and open Photo Booth or FaceTime and let me know if it works there.

I tried Photo Booth and I get the same error
It says "there is no camera connected"

have you tried a PRAM reset or an SMC reset?

I have not yet

Are you familiar with those resets?

No I am not

Here's how to reset your PRAM:

1. Shut down your machine. Yes, all the way down, not sleep or logging out.
  2. Press the power button and then press command-option-p-r. ...
  3. Hold those keys down until your Mac reboots again and you here the startup chime.
  4. Let go of the keys and let your Mac reboot normally.
How about the SMC reset?
  1. Shutdown your MacBook Air / MacBook Pro
  2. Connect the power adapter to the Mac
  3. On the MacBook / Pro’s keyboard, hold down the Shift+Control+Option keys and the Power button at the same time
  4. Release all keys and the power button at the same time – the little light on the MagSafe adapter may change colors briefly to indicate the SMC has reset
  5. Boot your Mac as usual
Neither of these reset commands worked for my webcam

Do you have any antivirus or anti-malware on your computer?

No

Do you have a backup?

No, but I can back up my computers hard drive

I would suggest that and then do and erase and install. If the issue is alleviated then it was a software issue. If it is not it is a hardware issue. Either way if you have a back through time machine you will be able to get you content back.