Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a MacBook Pro that’s about 8 years old. The power…

Customer Question
I have a MacBook...

I have a MacBook Pro that’s about 8 years old. The power cord adapter suddenly stopped working in it. I’m at 57% and have no way to charge it.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your MacBook Pro?

OS X El Capitan

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your MacBook Pro? What have you tried so far?

It just started. It was working last week. I don’t use it everyday.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I unplugged and plugged a few times. I tried different outlets. I turned the cord to plug in both ways. I shut down the computer and held shift and control and option and power button for 5 seconds and then tried again I dusted inside and scraped the magnets a bit

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
3/7/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 4 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question about Apple Power cords. I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

8 years is a long time for an apple power cord to stay alive, honestly.

1. You are going to have to get a new one..

2. You may be able to wiggle it to get some charge until you can get a new one.

If you would like remote support please select the Secure Remote Assistance option. If you do not want remote support please ignore the prompt.

Ok. It’s so old, do they sell them in apple stores? Staples? Best Buy?

I saw one in a target the past week. At 8 years you would be looking for a MagSafe Adapter. What is your screen size?

13 inches

This would do the trick. I am not certain if it is in stock at your BestBuy, but it is the proper replacement.

LINK