Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

If you have an Iphone and an Ipad synced onto the 'Find my…

If you have an...

If you have an Iphone and an Ipad synced onto the 'Find my Friends' Ap can a person leave say the ipad at one place and then go out to another place with their Iphone and make it look like your still at the original place ?Thus being undetectable if you go somewhere else?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iPad?

The Ipad and Iphone are linked via Apple? is that what you mean?

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. How long has this been going on with your iPad? What have you tried so far?

I have been seeing this for a while but the question remains 'can one hide from the other whilst turned on if you wish to avoid detection from place A' to Place B'??

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No thats pretty well it thank you :)

3/7/2018
Micky
Micky, Lead Systems Engineer

Only one of your devices that share an iCloud account can be monitored by somebody else using a different iCloud account.

If you go into the 'Find My Friends' app on one of your devices, and click on 'Account', you will see a section titled 'Active Device'. That is where you identify which device you want to be tracked (it shows all devices using the same iCloud account).

If you have multiple devices, and want all of them present in 'Find my Friends', you will need to setup multiple account for all of your devices to be monitored, however all of them will appear in 'Find my Friends'. Indeed your friends will see if you leave your current location with one of these devices..

I might only suggest you to stop sharing your location while leaving the current place, to avoid other see where are you going.

You might also try to block the GPS signal with some devices - expensive and almost illegal in Europe...

Best Regards

Hi Micky,
For example the ipad is accepted on the 'FMF' ap but the other iphone isn't,
so if this is the case why is the iphone trackable when the person is out and about
and the Ipad is at the home and not in use? .
This is what I don't understand?
Thanks
I don't think we need to interlink the device with the question I have asked do we?

You can only register a single device on FMF for the same icloud account.

Since you registered the iPad on FMF, and the iPhone is not registered, your iPhone will not be tracked on FMF. :)

Thanks and I appreciate your patience but why does the iphone still become trackable when for example the ipad is left at home and not taken out, yet we can still see where the Iphone is travelling to?? this is what is puzzling me.
Why is this still viewable to track if it's not connected?
What I am getting at is if the two are interconnected (added to the icloud account) can you then get away with leaving one in one spot and then leaving that spot with the phone without being dedected?

Are you saying that the iPhone is visible and trackable on Find my Friends?

It might be trackable on 'Find my iPhone' to someone that has access to your credentials.

Did you try to disable the GSP on your iPhone?

Additionally, you can check the following Apple document:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201493

It explicitly mentions that "only one iOS device can transmit your location to your followers" (from the same icloud account)

If I have my phone on Fmf ' and watch for positioning of the ipad/phone and they go to the shop, We can see the area in question, if they come back and leave the ipad at home and go back out with the iphone on board it doesn't show the ipad but shows the new position of the iphone but not the ipad? is this normal? and if so that means that the ipad can be left at one spot showing that the person hasn't moved while they are actually out? is this the case then?
cheers
Lee
Thanks for the answers anyway Micky
much appreciated, still not sure I understand what
is going on but I understand your answers.
Kind Regards
Lee.

I can only suggest to check that previous document and try to disable the location/gps on the iPhone

Unfortunately I don't have two devices to try out this, but I got curious too :)

I will opt-out for this topic, hoping that other experts can try/explain it ;)

Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! I am Justin. I see the previous expert has opened the question up to the rest of the experts. Are you still in need of assistance?

Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius