Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a Mac Pro, have had it for 2 years and it has never…

I have a Mac...

I have a Mac Pro, have had it for 2 years and it has never worked right. There is a rainbow wheel spinning and I am not able to get rid of it—- despite $$ spent at an apple shop! Please help. Thank you

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a Force Quit on your frozen Mac Pro (pressing and holding Option, Command, and Escape)?

Yes, MANY MANY TIMES. When I turn it back on, the wheel continues!

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I thought you were the expert? Am I facing a CHARGE HERE?

2/20/2018
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
Can you let me know when you're ready to look at this and we will make a start.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am ready
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Area you there?

Is this on your web-browser?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry for the delay. What are you asking me?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am on my ipad

What application is the wheel appearing on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is on my home page. I cannot get to any application!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think we could speed this conversation up a little?

I am going to opt out so another expert can have a go at helping as I am out of ideas.

Someone will pick this up and you will be emailed.

Thanks

Kris

Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

If its the mac pro that keeps getting the rainbow wheel, the easiest thing to try first is to reinstall the MacOS without erasing any data and then see if that helps the issue. Here is how:

1. Restart your mac
  2. immediately hold down command and R on your keyboard
  3. If done correctly you should get to a main menu
  4. choose "reinstall OS" - don't worry, this does not erase your files/data it just reinstalls the system files and folders.
  5. follow the onscreen instructions which is basically next, next, next

Please let me know what happens.

Because it does not erase the data, and if the problem continues, then that may be that there is something in your profile causing the rainbow wheel to occur. But lets start with reinstalling the OS before we proceed.

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Am I to restart OS X Yosemite?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am very skeptical of giving anyone control of my computer!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It says I have 9 (NINE) hours !!! Is this correctly?

Did you do command & R or command, option, and R ? What could have happened is that the command & r is the recovery mode that is used from your local partition from your local hard drive but what may have happened is that if for some reason this recovery partition can't be used, it may have defaulted to getting the recovery image from the internet (apples servers) instead which usually takes forever.

Either way, let it finish the process and then once its done, see if you continue to get the rainbow wheel. If you still get the wheel, I am curious that maybe your hard drive is full or it could be something within your user profile but let me know what happens and then we can continue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you- I will get back to you tomorrow.

Sounds good, thank you.

Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast
Jon
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast