Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Won' boot beyond apple icon in ctr of screen. 24 in imac…

Customer Question
Won' boot beyond apple...

Won' boot beyond apple icon in ctr of screen

Technician's Assistant: What kind of Apple device do you have? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

24 in imac purchased around 2009 Sierra

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iMac? What have you tried so far?

Since this AM. tried disconnecting power, disconnecting wired key board, disconnecting all USB input devices. No improvement. Screen oscillates between blank and Apple startup logo at about one screen change per second. Seems to me the HD might be the problem.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of., thanks.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mac
HD problem?? Corrupted OS ??
but I don't lmow how you wpuld be able to do this since I can't open a browser.
Should I take to Apple Store?
2/7/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Pete, Computer Engineer replied 5 months ago
Pete, Computer Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Sometimes you will need to restore the NVRAM to get your iMac functioning again.

You can reset the NVRAM by restarting your iMac and immediately hold down the "Command-Option-P-R" keys simultaneously. When you hear the start-up chime a second time, release the keys.

After resetting the NVRAM, you may need to select the startup disk. This issue usually affects computers with more than one hard drive. Start the computer as normal and hold down the "Option" key as the iMac starts. When the Startup Manager displays, use the left or right arrow keys to cycle between hard drive options. Select the main hard drive, usually called Macintosh HD, and press the "Return" key. Wait for your computer to boot into the operating system.

--------------------

Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!

Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page; tips appreciated :)

If my service is lacking and not worth 5 stars yet, please let me know before submitting your rating and I will do my best to assist you further.

Pete.

--------------------