Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Apple is telling me that my email address and password are…

Hi Apple is telling...

Hi Apple is telling me that my email address and password ***** incorrect, I tried to set up a new apple ID without success

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

I'm not sure I have always used the same email and password ***** years

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

Yes and each time I was rejected for email address and verification codes at the bottom

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No I just would like to have it returned to what it always was please

1/22/2018
RussellA
RussellA, Systems Engineer

Have you tried all of these steps:

Instructions vary based on the type of security that you use for your Apple ID. Choose the type that you use:

Email, password, and
security questions

Two-factor authentication

Two-step verification

Email, password, and security questions

1. Go to your Apple ID account page and click "Forgot Apple ID or password." If asked to confirm your phone number, use steps for two-factor authentication instead.
  2. Enter your Apple ID. Did you forget your Apple ID?
  3. Select the option to reset your password, then choose Continue.
  4. Choose how to reset your password:

After you reset your password, you'll be asked to sign in again with your new password. You also might need to update your password ***** Settings on your devices.

Two-factor authentication

If you have two-factor authentication enabled for your Apple ID, you can reset your password ***** any trusted iPhone, iPad, Pod touch, or Mac with a password ***** passcode that's enabled. Can't access any of your devices?

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Make sure that your device has iOS 10 or later.
  2. Go to Settings.
  3. Tap [your name] > Password & Security > Change Password, then follow the onscreen steps to update your password. For iOS 10.2 or earlier, tap iCloud > [your name] > Password & Security > Change Password, then follow the onscreen steps.

Need help with the previous step? You might not be signed in to iCloud. Open Settings and tap "Sign in to your [device]" > "Don’t have an Apple ID or forgot it," then follow the onscreen steps. For iOS 10.2 or earlier, tap iCloud > Forgot Apple ID or Password, then follow the onscreen steps.

On your Mac

1. Go to Apple menu > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
  2. Choose Account Details.
  3. If you're asked to enter your Apple ID password, click "Forgot Apple ID or password" and follow the onscreen instructions. You can skip the final steps below.
  4. Click Security > Reset Password. Before you can reset your Apple ID password, you'll be required to enter the password ***** to unlock your Mac.

Need help with these steps? You might not be signed in to iCloud. Go to Apple menu > System Preferences, then click iCloud. Click "Forgot Apple ID or password" and follow the onscreen steps.

Use a recovery key

If you updated your Apple ID from two-step verification to two-factor authentication in iOS 11 and later, or macOS High Sierra and later, and you have a recovery key, you can use the recovery key to help reset your password.

If you can't access any of your devices

Borrow a friend or family member’s iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and follow these steps:

1. Open the Find My iPhone app.
  2. When a Sign In screen appears, make sure the Apple ID field is empty. If you see someone else's user name, erase it.
  3. Tap Forgot Apple ID or Password, then follow the onscreen steps.

Don't see a Sign In screen? Tap Sign Out. After you sign out, make sure the Apple ID field is empty. Then tap Forgot Apple ID or Password, and follow the onscreen steps.

Did you try the previous steps but you still need help? You can still reset your password ***** regain access to your account with account recovery.

Two-step verification

2. Enter your Apple ID, select the option to reset your password, then choose Continue. Did you forget your Apple ID?
  3. Enter your Recovery Key for two-step verification.*
  4. Choose a trusted device.* We'll send your device a verification code.
  5. Enter the verification code.
  6. Create a new password, then select Reset Password.

* If you permanently lost your Recovery Key or access to your trusted device, you can't change your password.

Thank you Russell, I followed your instructions and it allowed me to reset my ID and unlock the problem
I was prompted to pay $56 AU on line which I did, is this amount refundable as the message implied?
The issue is resolved so no need to remote fix its all working now

It was my pleasure to help you! I am glad it all worked out. Please don't choose the Remote Assistance function, and you will not be charged an additional fee.

I take pride in providing quick solutions to your issues. If you are satisfied with my answer please mark this as answered, and leave me a rating and feedback. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to open another query directly with me.

RussellA
RussellA, Systems Engineer