Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I need help on the activation lock. Well the thing is I

Customer Question
I need help on...

I need help on the activation lock

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

Well the thing is I bought this iPhone online and I don't know the previous owner

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

No, I would need help for that

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No I think that's it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
1/16/2018
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Apple Consultant replied 7 months ago
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Hello! My name is***** will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information. Please give me a minute to read over your submission...

Ok

You are dealing with a feature called "Activation Lock". This is a high security feature and there is no way as an end user to bypass it.

When selling the device, the original owner should have disabled this before giving it to you. You MUST have that password ***** order to proceed OR the original owner must remove it from their iCloud account. If you can not contact the previous owner in some way then you should return the iPhone for refund.

If the previous owner is not present, but you can manage to contact them, ask them to follow these steps to remove the device from their account:

======

How to remove a device from an iCloud account using iCloud.com

1. Turn the iPhone or iPad in question Off or put it in airplane mode. If the device is on and Find My iPhone has an active location, it will not allow you to delete it.

2. From a computer, go to www.icloud.com and sign in using the iCloud ID that is currently tied to the iPhone or iPad in question.

3. Now click on Find My iPhone.

4. Click on All Devices at the top of the Find My iPhone screen.

5. Find the device in question in the list and click on it.

6. On the next screen, click on Remove from Account. You may get a popup over the map instead, if that's the case, refer to below.

7. One more popup will come up asking you to confirm. Click on Remove.

Note: If you got a popup with device information on the map instead of the device information screen, verify the device is Off and Find My iPhone isn't finding a location for it. If that's the case, follow these steps:

1. Click on All Devices at the top of the Find My iPhone screen one more time.

2. Find the device in the list again and this time you should see a gray x appear to the right of it. Click it.

3. A popup will appear asking you if you're sure you want to remove the device. Click Remove.

How to remove a device from an iCloud account using the Find My iPhone app

1. Launch the Find My iPhone app from a different iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and sign in to the account that is currently tied to the iOS device in question.

2. Find the device in the list and tap on it.

3. In the top right hand corner, tap on Remove.

======

After the device has been removed from the previous owner’s account, turn it on by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button located on the top right side of the device. Then proceed with device setup as you would normally.

Note: Apple has been known to take a tough stance on this issue due to theft concerns. If you can get no where with the above, you may try calling them at 1-***-***-****.

Can u help me

Did you see the answer I just sent? I can answer further questions out it.

What if I cant contact previous owner

The two options in that case are to return the iPhone for refund OR you can try calling Apple directly but they may be unwilling to unlock the device.

You may try calling them at 1-***-***-****.

Since this Lock is initiated from the Apple servers there is no way to bypass it locally.

Well I can't return the phone because I bought it off an app and once you buy something there's no returning or refunds

There is no option for refunds even when the device is sold in a way other than advertised? What was the app you purchased it from?

Letgo

Oh I see. Can you not re-contact the seller through the app?

No
I guess once you buy something you can't contact them unless they sell something else

In LetGo you should have the option of going to Messages and then replying back to your previous conversation with them. If you can no longer do that, then, unfortunately, your only remaining choice is to contact Apple at the number previously given.

You may also wish to contact the police to see if the iPhone is listed as stolen.

I already checked the iPhone is not lost or stolen

Ok, your best bet is contacting Apple at this point. They may or may not be helpful with this.

No they weren't
Thanks for your help

You are very welcome. I'm sorry you can't get anywhere with this. If it were me I would be quite frustrated and likely quite pissed, as well. :-(

However, if you have any further questions on this topic, please let me know at any time.

Please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Insert “For John T. F. only” in your initial question and you can, also, submit new questions directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/