Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I am using a Focusrite Pro 40 interface with my I5 IMAC and…

I am using a...

I am using a Focusrite Pro 40 interface with my I5 IMAC and the system pref - sound says "the selected device has no output controls or input controls

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iMac?

High sierra

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iMac? What have you tried so far?

Since last week. I have just changed out my audio speakers since my old ones cratered

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No. I just need my interface to work with my imac

1/11/2018
RussellA
RussellA, Systems Engineer

I am going to assume that this is a new set-up.

If so please

1. Insert your installer disk into your computer’s CD-ROM drive.

2. You should see a window pop up showing the Saffire PRO 40 installer icon.

3. Double click on the installer icon to begin the installation process.

4. Follow onscreen instructions to complete the installation process.

Once the installation has been completed, your Computer OS should automatically switch its default audio outputs to be the Saffire PRO 40. To make sure this is the case: go to System Preferences > Sound > Set the input and output to Saffire PRO.

For more detailed setup options on a Mac, go to Applications > Utilities > Audio Midi Set-up.

If you would like me to remotely connect to your Mac and take a look, please let me know.

Also as per FocusRite, they state the following:

"

When selecting a Focusrite interface as the input and output device in System Preferences > Sound on Mac OS X, a message stating 'This device has no input/output controls' will be displayed at the bottom of the screen. In addition to this, the speaker icon in the Menu Bar will be greyed out.

This is normal behaviour - it's not possible to control the input gain or output volume from the Mac. Instead, the input gain must be adjusted from the gain dials and the output volume adjusted using the Monitor/Volume dial on the front of the interface"

On this page: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/211632165-My-device-has-no-input-or-output-controls

I take pride in providing quick solutions to your issues. If you are satisfied with my answer please mark this as answered, and leave me a rating and feedback. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to open another query directly with me.

No, this is not a new install. If it were it would be easy. I've been using this interface for 3-1/2 years with great results (no troubles). Now that I've updated to OS High Sierra 10.13.2 there have been problems with the sound preferences that gives a message "selected device has no output controls". Likewise on the input side the same type of message. First time I have had this problem.
As per Focusrite, there have been no compatibility issues with High Sierra on Saffire products.

It's not a compatibility issue, they explain the reason behind this in the URL posted above.

my focusrite saffire pro 40 doesn't show up now.

What did you change last?

go to System Preferences > Sound > Set the input and output to Saffire PRO.

RussellA
RussellA, Systems Engineer
Not showing up

If you would like me to connect to your computer, please follow this link and install the necessary app: http://get.teamviewer.com/v12/s93304286

What is the session code I'm supposed to enter?

Session code: s93-304-286

I have ID 500 596 817 password *****

Let me know when you are back up from the reboot?

Back up
Team viewer is up
Id 500 596 817. Pass. 4845
You there?

Hi there, yes, give me a minute

ID is 500 596 817
What is session code to enter?
RussellA
RussellA
RussellA, Systems Engineer