Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I'm wondering how to speed up a video in the iMovie. MacOS…

Customer Question
Hi I'm wondering how...

Hi I'm wondering how to speed up a video in the iMovie

Technician's Assistant: What kind of Apple device do you have? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

MacOS High Sierra version 10.13.2

Technician's Assistant: Which Sierra product do you have?

Sorry, I'm not quite sure which information should I provide the serial number?

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Sierra software?

Oh I see. eh, macOS Sierra and then I update to the high Sierra

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

Not so far

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mac
1/10/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 5 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer.com! I am Justin. Let me take a chance to look over your question. If you have any additional details please type it in and hit the reply to expert button.

If you would like remote support please select the Secure Remote Assistance option. If you do not want remote support please ignore the prompt.

How much?

how much?

That was my question.

no, I don't think the software is broken but there must be a way to speed up a video right?

Yes. Like a little bit or time lapse?

like time lapse
I find fast forward in iMovie but it's gray

Like this. LINK

but the speed button is gray

Are you working in a new project?

what do u mean?
please opted out
Mac Support Specialist: Sheri, Mac Support Specialist replied 5 months ago
Sheri
Sheri, Mac Support Specialist

Hi JACUSTOMER-t7iobhsn,

Thanks for using JustAnswer. I am happy to assist you with this issue. Please do the following to speed up a video in iMovie: (I have included other options for your convenience, as well)

Change clip speed

1. In the timeline, select the clip whose speed you want to change.

2. To show the speed controls, click the Speed button.

3. Choose either Slow or Fast from the Speed pop-up menu, and click a speed button to set the speed.

Note: If you choose Fast for a clip shorter than 0.1 seconds, the Custom speed option is applied, and you can enter a custom speed.

An icon (either a turtle or a rabbit) appears on the clip, and a speed slider appears at the top.

A clip that is slowed down becomes longer in the timeline, and a clip that is sped up becomes shorter.

Note: If the clip contains audio, playing the clip more slowly lowers the pitch of the audio, and playing the clip faster raises the pitch. To preserve the original pitch of the audio, select the Preserve Pitch checkbox above the viewer.

Modify a clip’s speed adjustments

• In the timeline, drag the speed slider at the top of a clip that has speed changes.

Dragging the slider to the right slows down the clip, and dragging the slider to the left speeds up the clip. Using the speed slider is useful for custom speed adjustments, because as you drag the slider, you see the clip’s duration change in the timeline.

Change the speed of part of a clip

Any part of a clip can be sped up or slowed down, and you can choose whether to smoothly transition the frame rates between the part with the speed change and the rest of the clip.

1. Select a range in a clip in the timeline by holding down the R key and dragging across the clip.

3. Do one of the following:

• Slow down the selected part of the clip: Click the Speed pop-up menu and choose Slow.

By default, the speed is set to 50%, but you can click any speed button.

• Speed up the selected part of the clip: Click the Speed pop-up menu and choose Fast.

By default, the speed is set to twice normal speed (2x), but you can click any speed button.

• Set a custom speed for the selected part of the clip: Click the Speed pop-up menu, choose Custom, and type a number in the field.

The speed change is applied to the selected range, and speed sliders appear above the selected range and any areas of the clip outside the selected range.

When you play back the clip, it begins playing at normal speed, then changes to the speed you set, then returns to normal speed again at the end of the clip.

4. To have the speed changes occur gradually, select the Smooth checkbox.

5. To adjust the speed of the selected range or an area outside it, drag any of the three speed sliders at the top of the clip.

Play a clip backward

1. Select the clip in the timeline.

3. Select the Reverse checkbox.

A reverse-play icon appears on the clip, and the clip now plays in reverse, at the speed you set.

Slow down high-frame-rate clips to match the speed of your movie

By default, iMovie automatically slows down the speed of high-frame-rate clips when you add them to the timeline, adjusting them to play back at the same speed as the rest of your movie. You can turn off this setting in iMovie preferences. High-frame-rate footage appears to play in slow motion when slowed to regular playback speed.

If you have added high-frame-rate clips to your movie with the automatic slow-motion preference turned off, you can apply this setting to selected clips.

Please reply and let me now if that works for you or if you have any questions. Then we can go to the next step if needed.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

1. In the timeline, select the clip whose frame rate you want to slow down.

3. Click the Speed pop-up menu and choose Slow.

4. Click the Auto button.

The frame rate of the selected clip is adjusted to match the frame rate of the rest of the movie.

Note: If the clip has a duration longer than 3 seconds, iMovie adjusts the speed at the beginning and end of the clip, to emphasize the slow motion.

My question is that my speed button is gray and I cannot click that.

Try this:

Uncheck "View" -> "Wrapping Timeline"

This will enable the slow motion, fast forward, etc menus under "Modify".

Let me know if that helps.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert