Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Can I plug a 3.0 external hard drive into my iMac's 2.0 port…

Customer Question
Can I plug a...

Can I plug a 3.0 external hard drive into my iMac's 2.0 port without damage? 2.0s are hard to find on the market now.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iMac?

10.8.5, but I'm paving the way to upgrade my OS X this week. I want to move all my 12,000 photos off my regular hard drive so they don't get organized by date by the new Photo program in Sierra. I have organized them in 9 separate libraries by topic. I've been advised to move them onto an external HD but find mostly 3.0s available for sale but not 2.0s. My iMac 21.5" desktop bought in 2011 has four ports for 2.0s.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your iMac?

I'm just beginning the process. I already have a WD My Passport Ultra 2 TB as a backup drive. Yesterday I experimented with moving some Events in iPHoto into my Dropbox account with unsatisfactory results. I also tried putting single Events onto a flash drive, but that was also unsatisfactory, so I think I need to put them onto an eternal HD. Is that a good idea? I don't know how I'd work with the photos after I get the new OS X, but that's another challenge.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

Yeah. I'm 87 years old and this is tough for me! I love the iMac and have tons of photos including the genealogy program Reunion and my family's historic photos. I also need to make sure that whatever I end up with works well with Reunion, and whether or not I need to upgrade that also.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mac
1/10/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 6 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer.com! I am Justin. Let me take a chance to look over your question. If you have any additional details please type it in and hit the reply to expert button.

If you would like remote support please select the Secure Remote Assistance option. If you do not want remote support please ignore the prompt.

For sure. It will just be slower. Is there anything else you need?