Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I am trying to buy a song on itunes. However when I sign in…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to buy a song on itunes. However when I sign in it says someone is trying to use my account in pilot point texas. I am from North Dakota

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update iTunes?

I last used it in 2015

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mac
1/6/2018
Mac Support Specialist: RussellA, Systems Engineer replied 6 months ago
RussellA
RussellA, Systems Engineer

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised

Are you concerned that an unauthorized person might have access to your Apple ID? These steps can help you find out and regain control of your account.

Because you use your Apple ID for so many Apple products and services, you should make sure that your Apple ID is as secure as possible. You should be the only person who knows your password ***** can sign in with your Apple ID. If someone you don’t know or don’t trust can sign in with your Apple ID, your account is not secure.

Here are some reasons why the Apple ID that you're using might not be secure:

• Someone else created an Apple ID on your behalf, or you’re using an Apple ID that was already signed in when you received your device.
  • You’re sharing an Apple ID with family or friends. Your Apple ID is your personal account. If you want to share purchases with a family member, use Family Sharing. With Family Sharing, you can share a calendar, photos, reminders, and more without sharing your Apple ID.
  • You don’t recognize the Apple ID that is signed in on your device.
  • You shared your password ***** someone else intentionally or unintentionally. For example, someone else selected your password ***** you, you told someone your password, or you might have entered your password ***** a "phishing" site.
  • You don't have control of the email address or phone number associated with your Apple ID.
  • Your password ***** ***** or has been compromised.

If any of the above are true, you should use these steps to reset your password ***** soon as possible and review your account information.

How do I know if my Apple ID was compromised?

Your Apple ID might be compromised if you receive an account notification from Apple for a change you didn't make, or if you notice account details or changes you don’t recognize. For example:

• You receive an email or notification that your Apple ID was used to sign in to a device you don't recognize or did not sign in to recently (for example, "Your Apple ID was used to sign in to iCloud on a Windows PC").
  • You receive a confirmation email from Apple that your Apple ID password ***** changed or your account information was updated, but you don’t remember making any changes.
  • Your device was locked or placed in Lost Mode by someone other than you.
  • You see messages you didn't send, or items you didn’t delete.
  • You see charges or notices for purchases that you didn't make. Use these steps if you see an unfamiliar iTunes Store or App Store charge on your credit or debit card statement.
  • Your password ***** longer works, or it might have been changed or locked.
  • You don't recognize some or all of your account details.

If you received an email that you're not sure is valid or you think might be a fraudulent "phishing" email, here are some tips that can help you determine its legitimacy.

How can I gain control of my Apple ID?

If you think your Apple ID was compromised, use these steps to gain control of it and review your account information:

1. Sign in to your Apple ID account page. If you can't sign in or you receive a message that the account is locked when you try to sign in, try to reset or unlock your account. If you still can't sign in, contact Apple Support.
  2. Change your Apple ID password and choose a strong password.
  3. Review all the personal and security information in your account. Update any information that isn't correct or that you don’t recognize, including:
    • Your name.
    • Your primary Apple ID email address.* If you need to change your email address, update the features and services that you use with Apple ID, so that each one is using your updated Apple ID.
    • All alternate email addresses, rescue email addresses, and phone numbers.
    • Security questions and answers. If you think they might be easy to guess, you should change your security questions.
    • The devices that are associated with your Apple ID, if you've already set up two-factor authentication.
  4. Check with your email address* provider to make sure that you control every email address associated with your Apple ID. If you don't control the email addresses associated with the Apple ID, you should change the password ***** the email address or use a different email address.
  5. Set up two-factor authentication for your Apple ID. This additional security feature is designed to prevent anyone from accessing your account, even if they know your password.

If you completed the steps above and think your account might still be compromised, contact Apple Support.

Make sure you know which Apple ID is signed in to your device.

If you're signed in on your device with an Apple ID that you don't recognize, use these steps to sign out, then back in with a different Apple ID. To make sure that you're signed in to Apple IDs that only you control or trust, you can check the following settings on each of your devices:

iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

• Settings > [your name] (On iOS 10.2 or earlier, tap Settings > iCloud instead)
  • Settings > [your name] > iTunes & App Store (On iOS 10.2 or earlier, tap Settings > iTunes & App Store instead)
  • Settings > Messages > Send & Receive
  • Settings > FaceTime

Mac:

• System Preferences > iCloud
  • System Preferences > Internet Accounts
  • Messages > Preferences > Accounts
  • Facetime > Preferences > Settings
  • Mail > Preferences > Accounts
  • Calendar > Preferences > Accounts

You should also check iCloud for Windows, your Time Capsule or Airport Base Station, and your Apple TV (for iCloud Photos or Home Sharing).

More info here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204145

I hope these steps help you in rectifying your issue. If you are satisfied please mark this as answered so I can get compensated for my time, or if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to open another query directly with me.