Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I just allowed an Apple Support imposter download gotoassist…

Customer Question
I just allowed an...

I just allowed an Apple Support imposter download gotoassist to my computer to gain remote access to my serial number and computer. I can change all my passwords but how do I ensure he's not watching me change my passwords? How can I be sure I'm rid of him?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

Recently but before the scammer called me.

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

No. how do I do that?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mac
Are you still working on the response?
Since no one has addressed my question, how do I get my money refunded?
1/5/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 6 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! I am Justin. Let me take a chance to look over your question. If you have any additional details please type it in and hit the reply to expert button.

If you would like remote support please select the Secure Remote Assistance option. If you do not want remote support please ignore the prompt.

Go to Assist is a normal application used in remote assistance. This is JustAnswer.com though. Are you aware of that?

I am aware. I need to know if a Apple Support Imposter was able to access my computer remotely including adding GoToAssist, Activity Monitor, and Notes to include my name, email address and phone number, does that Imposter now have access to everything that was on my computer? If so, how do I shake him? I have already changed my most crucial passwords. He said my Network had been hacked and tried to get me to purchase a $295 2 year customer support option with "Cyber Security Center." I told him I needed to research the company first. He said I couldn't with Safari because the "You MacOS computer has been hacked" pop-up would keep appearing. I told him I could research the company with Chrome and he got off the phone. I then check Apple's customer support numbers and none of them matched the number I called. Do I need to do anything to make sure my Mac can continue to be secure?
Can I continue this request tomorrow morning? I'm too tired to start this now.

Your remote support request failed payment.

Also, I looked at my account and was already billed for the $5.00 and have not yet received any help. What is the $5.00 payment for? Not sure why the $5.00 payment went through on the same card but this second payment will not.

In my experience it is because they get flagged for fraud. People have a tendency to report us a fruad because they don't think they are going to get their money back, but we are good at getting money back quickly. I went through the process once just to see how it would go and I was surprised how quick it came back into my account.

What does the $5.00 I've already been charged, cover?

So the way JustAnswer works is $5 is the initial fee. You should have picked the price you wanted upon arrival for how quick and detailed you wanted your response. That will be charged as part of the cost when you accept an answer. The remote support is another $39 as most support tickets are handled through chat. What you you like to have happen?

I'm going to sleep on it and decide in the morning since I'm too tired tonight. Can I do that?

Yes you can. I will be here in the morning too. Have a good one!

I just checked my credit card and it was charged $5.00 to initiate plus an additional $31.00 even though there were no services provided. How can I cancel the $31.00 charge?

I will submit the refund.

Can I get the $5.00 refunded also? I never received any services.