Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I'm trying to erase my cell phone so I can send it to you.

Customer Question
I'm trying to erase...

I'm trying to erase my cell phone so I can send it to you. Have upgraded. I come to a point that asks for a 4 digit security code and I have no clue what it is.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Apple device?

Ouch, it is an Apple 5 and has the latest upgrade software. Battery is just no good so went to the iphone 10.

Technician's Assistant: Did the application come with an uninstaller, either on the installation disc or in the application's folder on your Mac?

Do not believe so. Have always downloaded from the internet.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

NO just need to delete everything so I can send it to the company which was part of the tradein.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
Mac Support Specialist: John Lohr, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 6 months ago
John Lohr
John Lohr, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello and thank you for choosing JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

This would be the code that you use to unlock your phone from the lockscreen. Do you know it?

but it is a 6 digit code not 4 digits which it asks for.
That would be more than I'm getting for the trade in. If you can't give me the code I'm not willing to keep adding to the cost. Makes no sense to me.

You did the following, correct?

1. Open the settings app
  2. Select general
  3. Select Reset
  4. Select Erase All Content and Settings

Please ignore the remote message as it is an optional service automatically offered to you by the website.

Did all of that and the last step asks for the4 digit security code which I do not ever remember putting into it to start with. My wife cleared hers and did not have to clear with a 4 digit code.

Have you tried entering the 6 digit code at all? If not, there is another way we can reset the phone. Do you have a PC or Mac computer available?

I am on my Mac talking to you now. No I have not tride the 6 diget code. Only 4 circles to fill in the space so figured the 6 digit code was not it.

It could be that the first 4 digits of the 6 digit code could work.

If not, please power off the iPhone and let me know when you are ready to proceed

Would you like me to connect the cell phone to the computer.

Not just yet. First, once it is off, hold the home and power buttons until you see the iTunes logo on the phone and release them. Then connect the phone to your mac and open iTunes. In iTunes, select "Update and Restore"

That 4 digit code is called "Restrictions Passcode"

The Restrictions Passcode is a parental control feature. Do you recall setting that up?

Are you still there? I got behind. No we don't have kids at home so no reason to set that up.

Yes I am still here. Did you see the message with the instructions I gave on what to do after the power off?

Ok, I am in Itunes after turning off and holding the buttons down to restart it. I am hooked to the computer. I highlighted the ap and oppened it up. Se now way toto selet Update and resotroe from there. Should I have gone to settings instead.

When you held the buttons, did a screen with the itunes logo come up on the phone?

To answer yoiur question, i did finally see your previous message.
No only the apple symbol was on the screen.

The apple logo will appear, but keep holding it until you see the itunes logo, it will appear after the apple logo. Please power off the phone and try again

I have done that but no Itunes symbol. The apple symbol flashed 3 times then went out and then nothing. Did the prosess again with the same result.
Hello John, aare you still there. Getting a bit anxious on this end.

Yes I am still here, I believe I am getting your responses a bit delayed. Just a moment please

Try the following:

1. Power off the iPhone
  2. Wait about 30 seconds to ensure it is fully powered off
  3. Hold the home button only
  4. While holding the home button, connect it to the computer and continue holding the home button
  5. Release the home button when the iTunes logo (after the apple logo) appears OR you see a message in iTunes on your computer about resetting the phone
Ok that brought up the itunes logo. Have words above the logo support.apple.com/phone/restore
I am plugged into the computer. no other prompts.

Is iTunes open on your mac?

The itunes on the computer is active, but cannot connect with the iphone do to the iphone being locked with a code.

Is the iTunes logo no longer on the phone?

any suggestions. Itune logo is still on the phone and plugged into the computer.

Is there an okay button you can click on that prompt on the computer?

I do not see an OK prompt button on the computer, Only the notice that it cannot connect to the iphone due to some code that is required.
Now i have a some prompts for doing something to the iphone from the computer like Restore settings, etc.
My iphone just recycled to open and itunes logo not visible on screen, though the ap is still loaded and accesible on the iphone.
Are you as perplexed as i am John.
Hello John????

What is currently visible in iTunes?

On the phone, the iphone library page. On the computer the computers library.
If you don't have a solution, I have no recourse but to send the iphone to apple as is.

Please close iTunes on your mac and disconnect the phone

Once you do that, here is a video guide to help restore the phone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbLaxZzb3Iw

Don’t think that will help, but will give it a try. See you John.
Please let me know the results
Did you have any luck?
I have pain stakingly cleared the phone manually....one item at a time.

Sorry to hear that is the route you had to take. I am not sure why we could not get your phone to go into recovery mode, but at least the job is done now.

If you were satisfied with my service yesterday, would you mind rating me 1-5 stars at the top of your screen?