Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My Mac book cane up with a warning to call apple

My Mac book cane...

My Mac book cane up with a warning to call apple support***-***-****. I’ve been working with a technician . I’m worried now that this isn’t legitimate. How do I know if it was really apple support?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your MacBook?

Latest

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your MacBook? What have you tried so far?

Just this am. Couldn’t get rid of warning page. Called number, talked to tech, switched me to security tech. He says he will block all foreign addresses, get rid of viruses clean up and tune up and sell me apple care protection says firewall not blocked

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Is this legitimate ?

1/4/2018
Cris
Cris, Mac Specialist

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com I am Cris and will be glad to assist you.

Please ignore request for remote or phone support they are automated through the website.

It is a scam!

Apple will not display any messages on your Mac for you to call them. If you have any issues you have to reach out to Apple. Disconnect from the remote and call your credit card company to report the charge made as fraud.

Let me know if this answers your question or if you have any further questions for me. Please take a moment to rate my service and submit at the top if no further questions.

Is the person who says he’s with apple care and is fixing my computer legitimate?
He wants 695. To fix Virus

No they are not.

Like I said Apple does not display any messages about viruses or for you to call them. Also, they do not charge that much.

Do not call or have them remote in.

I am a expert on JustAnswer.com with years experience with Apple products. You can check my profile for credentials if you like.

I see you requested remote support, if you like I can remote and check out your Mac for any virus issue but not required if your not comfortable doing so.

I had already let him remote in for about an hour. I’ve turned the computer off, now. Have they stolen information? Do I come bract you, now to get this fixed.

I would not trust whomever you provided credit card info to. Call your credit card company to report the fraud this a very common issue.

Something gets into the system and then displays message for the user to call in for support. This happens a lot with windows, but not sure if they actually remove anything or just pretend to get money from you.

Do you have any further questions for me?

Can you let me know when remote access is available?

Yes, if you want I can remote in and check to see if any programs were left behind. Do you want perform remote connection?

Cris
Cris, Mac Specialist

We will need to use Teamviewer please go to the link below. Download the TeamViewer software and install on your PC. Once installed open the program and on the left side you will see ID and password. Please reply back to me with it so I can join.

http://www.TeamViewer.com

Any luck?

I have team viewer in my screen

Excellent, if you have the software installed. When it opens it will display an ID and password ***** the left side. Please reply back to me with it so I can remote in.

The page is up, but no password/I’d on left side

You have to download the software.

Id7130. Pass

Please give me a moment to join.

Appears our connection ended. I started the download for the latest Mac OS. There was no suspicious software on your Mac so that is good.

Anything I should watch for? Could they have stolen anything ?

Like I had mentioned call your credit card company and report that transaction as fraud. You were unaware they were not official Apple representative. Whether they stole any info is difficult to say, what they wanted was to charge your card.

But report the fraud and they probably will have to re-issue a new card which I would recommend.

I cut him off at the point he wanted my credit card, fortunately.

OK, good glad you did not provide any payment.

Thank you for your help

Your very welcome, glad I could assist you!

Cris
Cris
Cris, Mac Specialist