Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I can't turn my MacBook Air on. The battery had run down and…

Customer Question
I can't turn my...

I can't turn my MacBook Air on. The battery had run down and I charged it but still can't turn it on.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a PRAM reset on your MacBook Air (rebooting and holding down Command, Option, P, and R)? Or rebooting in Recovery Mode (holding down Command and R)?

I just tried both of those, holding them down for about 10 seconds but no change

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
1/3/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 4 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! I am Justin. Let me take a chance to look over your question. If you have any additional details please type it in and hit the reply to expert button.

If you would like remote support please select the Secure Remote Assistance option. If you do not want remote support please ignore the prompt.

have you tried an SMC reset?

No. What is an SMC reset?

It is the part of the computer that regulates power and system resources. This is the guide to resetting it.

GUIDE

I tried the SMC reset as directed in the instructions with no effect. My MacBook will not respond.

Did the light on the charge change colors?

No. The light was orange when I first tried it again this morning---no change. Then in a minute or so afterwards it turned green so I went back through the SMC steps again with no change and the light stayed green.

Ok. If the light did not change colors you did not do the SMC reset correctly. Please follow the guide for your computer and let me know the result.

I held down the shift control delete keys and the power key for ten seconds, released them, then pressed the power key again. Nothing. I repeated several times.
I meant "shift control option " not "shift control delete"

Is the adapter Apple Branded? Does it light up when plugged in? If so what color is it when it is plugged in?

I have taken my laptop to the Apple Store two counties away and the problem is the power key. They got my laptop back on even though the power key doesn't work. I have comment for yo u that I hope will be helpful: telling me that if the light on the charger cord didn't change it was because I was doing it wrong rubbed me the wrong way since I had followed the directions exactly over and over. It would have been much better if you had suggested that I MIGHT be doing it wrong or that it might be the power key or a battery problem or whatever. Since my communication with you over several days did not help solve the problem,I would like a refund.

Ok. I will submit it now.

Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius