Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Wi-Fi on Mac Mini only works intermittently. Every few

Customer Question
seconds it disconnects and is...
Wi-Fi on Mac Mini only works intermittently. Every few seconds it disconnects and is "looking for networks".
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/3/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 6 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! I am Justin. Let me take a chance to look over your question. If you have any additional details please type it in and hit the reply to expert button.

If you would like remote support please select the Secure Remote Assistance option. If you do not want remote support please ignore the prompt.

How old is this mac mini?

60; 3 yrs old

Are any other devices in the same location having similar issues?

No

When was the last time the computer was restarted?

Yesterday

How long has it been happening?

Over a year. The Mac Mini is hardwired to my modem to give me internet access but I'd like to use WiFi to share music, etc. Like I stated earlier, the WiFi will connect for a few seconds then disconnect and "look for networks".I spoke to Apple 7-8 months ago about it and they said they had a fix but wanted $100 to join their protection plan.

Well in this unit the wireless card is built into the board. Meaning replacing it is not a likely option. You could restart in recovery and try to connect again to see if it is software. Do you know how to get to recovery?

Restart and hold down command-R...correct?

Yes

I will lose my connection to you.

You can connect after.

I’m on my iPhone now. Mac Mini is in recovery mode
Are you still there?

I am here. Sorry for the delay. Were you able to connect to WiFi and use safari without disconnection?

No...same issue. I watched it. Shows WiFi: On for 5 sec then WiFi: Looking for Networks for 5 sec. I use 2 iPhones and an iPad on same WiFi network with no issues.

The the wireless is bad in the computer. You could use a third party wireless solution if you really want to have it go wireless. Is that something would like help finding?