Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My ipod will not open up. I forgot my password. Less than a…

Customer Question
My ipod will not...

My ipod will not open up. I forgot my password

Technician's Assistant: How old is your iPod?

Less than a year

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your iPod?

I have tried several passwords that I have used in the past

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
1/2/2018
Mac Support Specialist: David, Mac Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
David, Mac Support Specialist

Hi my name is ***** ***** to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question and will post a reply ASAP.

If you forgot your passcode to open the iPod you will need to erase it.

First you will need to put it in Recovery Mode.

To put it in Recovery Mode press and hold the Home button and the Power button together.

The screen will go blank, but keep holding both until the iTunes logo and white cable appear on the screen.

Next open iTunes on the computer and connect the iPod to your computer.

iTunes will prompt you to restore or update, choose to restore.

iTunes will need to download the iPod software and then it will restore the iPod.

After the iPod is restarted a couple of times it will be restored to factory settings.

iTunes will let you set it up as new and you can choose a new passcode.

Let me know if you have any questions by replying here, many thanks.

It didn't work. when I pressed the power button and the home button and held them down the screen went blank but I never got an iTunes icon it just shut off for another hour before I can try again.

Ok. Do you have the cable for charging the iPod? Do you know which model of iPod it is?

I have the cable but I don't know the modle

Ok, please connect the cable to the iPod and then to the computer.

Then try the Recovery Mode steps again.

It might take a few tries, but the iPod should go to recovery mode.

Press and hold the Power button and the Home button together, keep them held all the time while it reboots and starts up.

After some time it should now show the iTunes icon on the screen.

The ipod opened but in the activation lock it is asking for a passcode, what do I do

This means you have two-factor authentication enabled and will need to reset your Apple ID password ***** you do not remember it.

Please open: iforgot.apple.com

From there enter the Apple ID that the iPod is linked with (there should be a hint on the activation lock screen).

Then reset via reset email or security questions, when you have chosen a new password ***** can use it on the iPod to remove the activation lock.

none of this worked locked out for 13 days.