Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I just bought a new iphone 8. im trying to erase the iphone…

Customer Question
I just bought a...

I just bought a new iphone 8. im trying to erase the iphone 5 that I have and somehow forgot a restrictions passcode. I don't even remember setting one up

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

When I bought the iphone 5 at least two years ago or longer

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

Don't even know what that is

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Nope. I cant connect my phone through the computer I am currently on as the usb ports are shut off

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
1/2/2018
Mac Support Specialist: David, Mac Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
David, Mac Support Specialist

Hi my name is ***** ***** to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question and will post a reply ASAP.

If you don't know the passcode to unlock the iPhone you need to put it in Recovery Mode to erase it.

To put it in Recovery Mode you hold the Home and Power buttons together for about 30 seconds.

The screen will go blank but keep holding those two buttons until the screen comes back on and shows an iTunes logo with the cable pointing to it.

Then you need to open iTunes on your computer, and connect the iPhone.

At this point iTunes says it detected an iPhone with a problem and it needs to be restored.

Select Restore, and don't recover from any backups if prompted.

When you do this iTunes might need to download software for the iPhone before it can erase it.

That might take 15-20 minutes, you can check the status of the download by clicking the arrow in the top right in iTunes.

After it downloads the required software it will unpack it and erase the iPhone and install it. The iPhone will restart a few times.

Eventually iTunes will tell you that the iPhone has been erased to factory settings and you can set it up as new.

If you have any questions about any of this please let me know by replying here.

Also please take a moment to rate my help by clicking the star rating in the top right, much appreciated.