Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I tried to install High Sierra. The file downloaded but did…

Customer Question
I tried to install...

I tried to install High Sierra. The file downloaded but did not install. Next thing when I started up the MacBook air it said some startup file is missing.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your MacBook Air?

Sierra

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your MacBook Air? What have you tried so far?

I tried the automatic online recovery but did not work. now I'm trying to startup from my hard drive but it says the disc is locked

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I'm typing on another device which is not a mac must I get my mac connected?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
1/2/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 7 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! I am Justin. Let me take a chance to look over your question. If you have any additional details please type it in and hit the reply to expert button.

If you would like remote support please select the Secure Remote Assistance option. If you do not want remote support please ignore the prompt.

What does your "About My Mac" say?

I tried to download and upgrade my old MacBook air to the High Sierra upgrade. It downloaded but never installed. After I booted up again it said some installation file missing and since then I cant get into my mac. I'm typing from another tablet so I'm not on my tablet. I'm in recovery mode on my mac and can get the mac online if you need access
just paid lets ee how far that money can take me first

Does the recovery mode say High Sierra?

Then it installed. You may however need to reinstall it to get it working. Select the menu option "Reinstall macOS"

I have selected that option before. it takes 20 minutes downloading something then it comes back saying it cant be installed on my mac.

Do you have a backup/ is it OK to wipe your computer?

I guess if we have then we must do it. Can we roll it back to the sierra software

Not in its current state.

Use disk utility to wipe the drive and then run the reinstall again.

I'm in disk utility but cant see the wipe option the erase option is greyd out and cant be selected

This should help.

LINK

can I creat a backup from disk utility?

If you have a second drive to copy it to.

It will have to be as big as your computer as it will be a one for one clone.

I do I plugged in a 500gig external but it says uninitialised

Is there anything on it?

If so it will have to be wipes as well

no

Go ahead and initialize it.

how do I initialise the external so it works on a mac

The same way you erase the other drive.