Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I want to start a new imovie project but need to remove old…

Customer Question
I want to start...

I want to start a new imovie project but need to remove old project from the workspace

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Apple device?

Osx 10.9.5

Technician's Assistant: Did the application come with an uninstaller, either on the installation disc or in the application's folder on your Mac?

Original macbook about 2013 i didn’t install any software. imovie is v 9

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No. I understand there isnt a “Close Project” menu option (Why not?) But i wanrt to effectively do just that

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mac
1/2/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 3 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! I am Justin. Let me take a chance to look over your question. If you have any additional details please type it in and hit the reply to expert button.

If you would like remote support please select the Secure Remote Assistance option. If you do not want remote support please ignore the prompt.

For security purposes please respond with the answer to 4 + 3 = ?

7
I understand there is no “Close Project” menu option (Why not?) But I want to effectively do just that. IOW, I just want to clear out my movie workspace for a brand new project that has nothing to do with my last project (Thos clips are unwanted clutter). I already tried updtaing project Properties with a minor tweak and even renaming events in an attempt to enable Share menu options but no luck.
Also, I restarted; opened iMovie and inserted sd card and iMovie did nothing. According to an Apple Youtube vid, it “shoukd have” recognized and opened a dialog box but did not

Does this help? LINK

No, the “answer” referred me to this Link: https://support.apple.com/kb/ph14687?locale=en_US
It DID NOT HELP as the info was generic stuff about how to CREATE a movie project. I asked, Specifically,
how do I REMOVE OLD movies from my iMovie workspace. I’m sure there must be some equivalent way to do this, and I am missing some simple step or something. I have never seen any other software that leaves your past work there so that you can't just start with a blank slate. Especially having no clearly obvious way to remove the old. Apparently, the designer’s assumption is that you just want to keep working on whatever it was you did last until... Until what? (And why?). Please tell me how to open the software WIRTHOUT loading any working files. Or better, How to move those old clips (files, events, whatever) out.

For your sanity I think working with multiple libraries is your best bet.

LINK

I NEED A CLEAR WORKSPACE. The “answers” I have been provided by ***** ***** have NOT addressed my concern. And I have tried to communicate/restate the issue in various ways. Rather, it’s been a time wasting tour of blind alleys leading me to stuff I already Googled before being desperate enough to pay for online help. The most recent links talk about creating and understanding libraries. Not my problem.
If the is an “Open Library” (or Event. or Clip, or Project , or Scene, or whatever they want to call it, there should ALSO be a “Close Library, or...” or “Hide” or something. How can there NOT be? That forever and ever your work will just keep building up until there are terabytes of TOTALLY UNRELATED ‘Libraries’ of clips cluttering things up. If pros use iMovie-and I believe many do- Certainly they must have their ways of doing what I’m asking. What if I have different clients? Having a grab-bag of “everything” is simply not tenable.
No I DO NOT want to securely connect -and pay more- Read my comments please. I know y’all are smart but I AM NOT SATISFIED. Yet.

I sent you a link with a way to create multiple libraries which is word for word what you are asking for. Did you not see it?

Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius