Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

IPhone 7+ is disabled and can't connect to iTunes. I turned…

Customer Question
iPhone 7+ is disabled...

iPhone 7+ is disabled and can't connect to iTunes. I turned off Apple Pay, not knowing what it is; could that be the problem?

Technician's Assistant: What version of iTunes are you using to sync your iPhone?

12.7.2.58

Technician's Assistant: When did you last reboot?

The computer? Not lately.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I've followed all the online directions to no avail. I recently got this phone from my brother. He had it only 2 months before getting another phone so it is basically new. Yesterday it refused to open using my thumbprint and I forgot my passcode so it locked me out.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mac
1/1/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 6 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

iPhone disables itself if you try to open it with incorrect passcodes. Since it is disabled, your only option is, erase the iPhone from iCloud or force-restore the iPhone to factory settings through iTunes on your computer by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode, which will erase everything from it. This is how Apple designed it to protect the information of their users. (Note : DFU Mode is a method which allow you to bypass the passcode/disabled screen and get it restored)

But if you had backed up your iPhone to iTunes on your computer or iCloud, then you can restore all your data back after restoring your iPhone from iTunes/iCloud. You can also redownload all your past purchases for free using the same account.

Follow the steps below to restore your iPhone by putting it to DFU Mode.

First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then connect the iPhone to your computer with the USB Cable.

Open iTunes application on your computer.

On your iPhone press and hold the Volume down button and the Power button at the same time for 8 seconds.

After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button but continue holding the Volume down button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPhone will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. If it is not showing blank/black screen, then repeat the steps again. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. And it will take a while to restore it.

Remember, it may take a while to restore the iPhone (the iOS firmware has to be downloaded, you will see the Download button - a downward arrow button with spinning circle around it, at the top right corner of iTunes screen. Click it to see the time remaining)

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.