Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Black screen on startup. Udated to Sierra less than a year…

Customer Question
Black screen on startup ...

Black screen on startup

Technician's Assistant: When was the last time you updated the Operating System (OS) on your Apple device?

Udated to Sierra less than a year ago

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

IMac bought in February 2013

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mac
1/1/2018
Mac Support Specialist: Sheri, Mac Support Specialist replied 6 months ago
Sheri
Sheri, Mac Support Specialist

Hi JACUSTOMER-sfbahnoe

Thanks for using JustAnswer. I am happy to assist you with this issue.

The first thing to try is to reset the System Management Controller. Please follow these steps:

• Shut down the Mac and connect it to your power adapter and a wall outlet as usual.
  • Hold down the Shift+Control+Option+Power button at the same time for a few seconds.
  • Release all keys at the same time, then boot the Mac as usual.

Let me know if that helps and then we can go to the next fix, if needed.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

I've tried that several times. The startup progress bar gets about two thirds the way across then the screen goes black

Try this next:

Reset your Mac’s NVRAM settings
NVRAM stands for non-volatile RAM and is basically a functionality that stores in memory settings for display, speakers, primary startup disk etc. Everything even remotely connected with boot process (like your MacBook won’t turning on) can be set back to factory settings during the NVRAM reset.

To flush NVRAM settings:

Shut your Mac down.
Press the Power key.
Wait for your Mac to start loading.
When you hear a startup sound, hold down Cmd + Option + P + R.
Keep pressing the keys until you hear a second startup sound

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

I tried that - no change. I also turned off the iMac, pulled out the mains power plug, waited for half a minute then repeated the process . Same result.

Does your Mac have a removable battery?

No removable battery

Have you tried removing any peripherals, such as printer etc. and then repeating the process to reset the SMC?

I've disconnected all peripherals
No thank you. I will get it sorted locally. Thank you for your help.

The automated offer for remote support was system generated. Please disregard. You are welcome. I will opt out in case other techs have a solution for you.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert