Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

No entry sign after apple upgrade to OS last night, apple…

Customer Question
No entry sign after...

No entry sign after apple upgrade to OS last night

Technician's Assistant: What kind of Apple device do you have? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Apple macbook air

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your MacBook Air? What have you tried so far?

There is no beep when powering up...it starts to load the new ios update, then stops and gives the no entry icon

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

That is all I know for now

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/31/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 1 month ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

You original question is not very clear in what is happening. Is your mac not able to boot up properly?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
when the new IOS finishes and then restarts, the IOS comes up like it is loading but when it is near the end of the load, it stops with a no entry sign. I hear no beeps even when restarting and holding the command, option, shift and r keys.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The system is not online as it can not boot and it is not this system that has the problem..how can you connect with no ip address?

You are right, Please ignore any offers for remote assist as those are automated and not sent by me personally.

Try this:

1. Restart your mac
  2. immediately hold down command and R on your keyboard
  3. If done correctly you should get to a main menu
  4. choose "reinstall OS" - don't worry, this does not erase your files/data it just reinstalls the system files and folders.
  5. follow the onscreen instructions which is basically next, next, next
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it tries to load and stops about .25 inches from end of line under the apple icon

OK if holding down command and R did not work try this, it is similar but is different. This will try and get the recovery image from the internet and apples servers instead of your hardrive locally. Let me know what happens.

1. Restart your mac
  2. immediately hold down command and Option and R on your keyboard

It may take a very long time so if it gets stuck at the end that does not mean this one will not load. Getting it from the apple servers is a lot longer then the normal.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
starting internet recovery...now loading something

Perfect that is a good sign... like I said though it can take a very long time from now. But keep updating me ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
a world globe spinning and a progress bar
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
50% done

Ok perfect thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
exit the world globe and is back to the screen with the Apple icon loading software ..we are at the place that it stopped from before.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
wow..macos utilities are on screen now
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
restore from time machine bup reinstall macos get help online disk utility are the options
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
shall i reinstall?

choose reinstall OS

If that does not work for some weird reason. We may need to go back into the same area you are in and choose disk utility and do a "first aid" on your hard drive. But let me know what happens wit the reinstall. This may take the longest though.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
MAC OS High Sierra ..installing about 8 mins remaining
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
about 5 mins remainin

OK, you must have a good internet connection wow!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
using comcast..

Well, its very fast so far thats for sure.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
progress bar is in about the same place it was failing before...holding my breath to see if it got past this point
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
about 1 min remaining...looks like a "GO"

ok (crossing fingers)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
rebooting now

OK

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
install in progress..calculating time

OK

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok looks good..approx 45 mins remaining....what do I owe you? I think it will work now..at least I have a way to get to the start menu.

I do not know exact amounts as I dont have access to accounts but as a tech I only get credit for the question if you rate my services with the stars next to my name. I hope I have made you happy and the service was satisfactory.

All i know is that we are a lot cheaper then taking to your local tech shop. Especially after a reinstall. Just glad your all good. Have a good rest of the day though. Enjoy your mac. Let me know if you need help in the future. YOu can also save me as a favorite to get back to me easier.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok..no prob...no did an excellent job...i learned something about this Apple and it was almost painless...you did a fantastic job and it is much appreciated..thank you Jon...Have A HAPPY NEW YEAR...you definitely made this guy happy... LOL
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Out here...

Oh good and YES iI forgot that its Happy New Year Time. I guess thats what happens answering so many tech questions :) Have a good new year! Please don't forget to consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help as well.

Also, one last thing. If for some reason it does not work I would do the same COMMAND and OPTION and R again but before you do a reinstall, choose "disk utility". Then in disk utility you can select the macintosh HD on the left side menu and then on the right choose "first aid" this will check your hard drive and fix any errors. Or if bad, it will tell you an error about your hard drive which you can then tell me.

Its been a while just want to make sure all is good. Let me know and please please please don't forget to rate my services. Thanks again.

Jon
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast