Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I am trying to install the macOS High Sierra upgrade. I

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to install the macOS High Sierra upgrade. I cannot successfully do so as the error message tells me "The path/system/installation/packages OSinstall appear to be missing..." mi cannot get any help from Apple Support, I have tried their suggestions and nothing has worked. I have used the Command R options, used the First Aid (apparently everything is fine). I'm asking you as a non-partisan expert. HELP, I can't buy a new computer this year. Btw it's a 2011 MacPro with lots of room available. Never had any problems.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of Apple device do you have? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

It's a MAC Pro Laptop. The most current OS available before this one. I always upgrade, since I can't get in, I'm guessing it's Sierra 10.3 ...

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Only that there are 100s of these same questions on Apple support and most are not answered, dating back to May, so this must be a familiar problem

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mac
12/31/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Donna French, Mac Enthusiast replied 6 months ago
Donna French
Donna French, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am one of the experts here on JustAnswer.com.

Please go to the Apple icon in the top left corner and click About This Mac & tell me what version of the Apple OS you are currently using.

I have no access, that is the problem. Whatever the last update was before this High Sierra version. I think is was version 10.3'something. When I try to restart I just keep getting the same message. Maybe if I can get back to the First Aid, that will have the version number? That will take good half hour.

Okay, let me know when you can get access to it. Do you need help to get to First Aid?

I think once this restart is complete I will see the option box

Okay, I am back and forth to various requests so please be patient if it takes me a few minutes to respond.

MacOS 10.12.16 is current version

Okay, are you able to use the Mac normally running MacOS 10.12.16?

Well even though you didn't have a chance to do anything, apparently you have good karma, vibes or whatever, because it just restarted and I'm looking at my beautiful home page.I am not going to try to upgrade again. I'll work with this version

Okay, here is a check list if you want to review to consider whether the upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra may be worth it for you. And whether your system meets the minimum requirements.

https://www.imore.com/should-you-upgrade-your-mac

Do you need any further assistance with your Mac issue?

Not at thiS point. The computer has opened to everything that was on the screen before I quit the screen in order to download that evil version. While waiting on this I read an article on CNET that didn't find it a necessary version. Never again will I just take Apples word for an upgrade. From now on, I research the new version first"

Yes, that has turned into a best practice for me personally. I don't upgrade ANY devices right away when an update is available.