Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I cannot get imessage to work, macbook air and it is running…

Customer Question
I cannot get imessage...

I cannot get imessage to work

Technician's Assistant: What kind of Apple device do you have? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Macbook air and it is running on OS but where do i look for operating system. Is that like 11.02. ????

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your MacBook Air? What have you tried so far?

Everything I could think of. When I try to sign in it gives me this message? An error occurred during authentication. I had an iphone technician work with me on my iphone and we eliminated that. It appears that since an update it has stopped working which was around the last update.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mac
12/31/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 1 month ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

As long as your apple id and password ***** for sure good meaning if you can sign into https://appleid.apple.com/ then you know for sure your account is good.

Once that is done I can either remote assist into your macbook computer and check somethings out. Let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My password ***** everything is correct. I will not let you remote assist if you after will charge me a big fee.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I noticed that it says a new device is signing into an account located in Indianapolis, Indiana. Is this legit. Why does it say a new device?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry that was Indianfields, Michigan

Remember there is a 100 % guarantee for a refund if you are not satisfied and if I can't fix it.

If not no worries, then I would try and go to apple/system preferences/icloud and sign out of your account and then sign back in.

Then after or if you have already tried that, open the messages app and at the top of the window choose the word "messages" and then go to preferences. Then in prefs, go to "accounts". Find and select your icloud account and remove it with the minus "-" sign . Then re-add with the +

Then try messages again.

You can actually go to the website I gave you https://appleid.apple.com/ and check under devices. You can remove any devices that you do not think are yours by clicking on the device and clicking remove.

You can also go to www.icloud.com and sign in. Once signed in choose the "settings" app. IN settings scroll all the way down to the bottom and choose sign out of all browsers. THis will sign all instances of the apple id account out so just incase others may be trying to use it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have done all of that so what do I do from there.

You signed out and back into your apple id and removed the account from messages?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It came back with an error in icloud preferences. I removed and put it back in.

ok that sounds like you signed out and back into icloud settings but did you go into messages and follow the steps I gave you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, you can go to remote access.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let us do what you said first before we do remote access.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where do I go to messages in settings?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just accidentally closed my chat with you

Do you know the version of mac OS you are running?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is OS 11.2.1 when updated

OK your original question you said you had a macbook air but it sounds like you have an ipad or iphone if you have 11.2.1 thats an iOS version not a OS version.

So everything so far, all the steps I mentioned will not apply if the issue you are having is on an apple mobile device like and ipad or iphone.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is version OS El Capitan.

OS el capitan is OS 10.11, is the issue you are having with messages on a mac computer or apple device like an ipad or iphone I am still very confused.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is OS 10.11 and it is on a mac computer not an ipad or iphone.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is 10.11.6 on my Macbook air

So the problem you are having with messages is on your macbook air correct?

OK, I am sorry to say but that is why I was up front about the remote assist because we have been going back and forth for a long time with nothing done. I am not sure if my steps were tried or what may have come from them so its like we need to start all over. So what is the exact problem you are having. Meaning, what do you try to do, what pops up, what does not work?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What I am having a problem with is imessage on my macbook pro. When I sign in to imessage it comes up with an error of authentication. So what I did was follow what you said and the only thing I did not do was go into messages, Now if I go into messages I did not know where to go and now I do. So I will go to messages and do the - and the + what you said. If this does not work I will go to the remote access.

OK sounds good. Thank you for explaining. I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am not an expert on these systems and just pulled up messages. But when I do the messages with the minus sign and a plus sign it comes up with me choosing a carrier. But it does not give me firefox, That is my carrier, not google, aol, and some others.

ok but in the list where you clicked the - and + do you still see your icloud account listed but it may be "grayed out" or says (inactive)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It says inactive.

OK select it in the list and then make sure to type in your apple id and password ***** and hit sign in

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please go to remote access because you need to see what it is doing. I cannot chose that carrier so you need to see what is happening. I am leaving the screens up.

OK but you will need to open your internet browser so I can connect and do the following:

In order to remote assist I just need you to do the following:

1. Click this link: https://join.zoho.com/724532262

2. Click the “download’ button

3. Open the downloaded file

If I am not able to connect again automatically after the reboot I can send you a new link to connect again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

OK try this link and do the same thing

https://join.zoho.com/596553221

Just some notes for what we have done so far:

• Was able to remote into mac
  • currently running El Cap 10.11
  • Having issues with the messages app authenticating her apple id and password.
  • Here appple id and password ***** correct as we were able to log into https://appleid.apple.com/ so we know the account is ok
  • Signed out of her icloud in apple/system prefs/icloud.
  • Tried messages again but still same error regarding can not athenticate
  • El cap 10.11 OS has had tons of issues with this
  • Checking if she has a shared folder in the /users folder and checking the rights to it. All read and right for everyone.
  • Tried signing into icloud in apple/system prefs, she can not
  • Checked computer for malware, had a couple "cleaner" apps we removed such as mac keeper and Ccleaner
  • removed files for these apps from ~library/, preferences, etc
  • also checked places like preferences, internet plugins, etc
  • Still can not use messages app due to same authentication issue.
  • Upgrading to high sierra as her mac is 2015 with 8gb of ram plenty good for this upgrade and will try messages again.
  • When done she will reply here.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is not moving at all.

OK, I would try and close the app store and try again to click the free upgrade button. You may need to click the apple and go to force quite and then choose app store and hit the force quit button to close it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did do that and restarted it. It now is moving. It has 26 minutes to go.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am going to have to stop again. You said you will still keep working on it. So when you come up with something contact me.

ONce it is done that is only the "download" then I was saying you will need to follow the onscreen instructions when it is done to continue without me. ONce you have it installed, I can come back to help.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay. I do not want you to have to wait this long. Like I said I have to go to church and need to get off now.

ok no problem. Just let me know when you can continue by replying here and let me know how far you get when you get back. Thanks for letting me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have tried to download the macOS High Sierra. I do not know what else to do.

Did the download complete?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No it would download. It just sits there and does not complete. Do I have enough memory?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I meant to say it does notdownload

Did you already try to close the app store, restart the computer and open the app store again and start the download and see if it downloads this time. Yes, you had enough memory but I did not check your hard drive space. You can click the smile face icon in the doc where your icons are and then select what is called the "Macintosh HD" so its highlighted. Then click the word file at the very top of the screen next to the word "finder" and choose get info. Then in the small window read where it shows "Available" it will show a number. Tell me the number

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have finished the Mac OS download and installed it. It came up signing into iMessage and I signed on where I get my email but no luck. I know why it stopped working too. The discontinued Aim which I was signed into. Since I updated to Mac OS, now it causes me some problems with Microsoft Outlook. I have to wait until CMU returns to work to solve that problem or if you maybe able to do that. Happy New Year!
Mike, Mac Medic