Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I just get this phone for my son for xmas but it is lock by…

Customer Question
Hi I just get...

Hi I just get this phone for my son for xmas but it is lock by old owner I don't have a way to talk to them what can I do?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

I never did I just got this as a gift for my son it is a used phone

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

No I did it though iturnes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
12/30/2017
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Apple Consultant replied 7 months ago
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Hello! My name is***** will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information. Please give me a minute to read over your submission...

Is the iPhone locked with Activation Lock and asking for an Apple ID and password?

no

Can you clarify, yes or no?

its on the activation lock and no I don't want to secure remote assistance

Ok. How did you originally buy this iPhone?

at a 2nd hand store

Thanks.

This is a high security feature and there is no way as an end user to bypass it.

When selling the device, the original owner should have disabled this before giving it up. You MUST have that password ***** order to proceed OR the original owner must remove it from their iCloud account.

Your best bet would to be return it. If you can not do so, Apple has been known to take a tough stance on this issue due to theft concerns in general but you may try calling them at 1-***-***-**** to see if they will disable the lock. You will be required to show proof of purchase if they choose to handle the issue.