Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I subscribe to Netflix; I can access it on my Iphone, Ipad,

Customer Question
I subscribe to Netflix...

I subscribe to Netflix; I can access it on my Iphone, Ipad, but my tv says that the lan adapter is disconnected. This screen keeps popping up and off while I'm watching TV and that message keeps appearing. I've talked to Verizon and Netflix customer service, but they say it has to do with my TV and that I should contact you.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

Just so you know I am totally inept when it comes to new technology. I have changed my passwork/apple ID recently but still have trouble entering the right one.

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

Don't know what that may involve.

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I don;t know what I don't know; whoever I talk to will probably get frustrated with me.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/30/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist replied 4 months ago
Cabletech
Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would be happy to assist today with your question.

Give me just a moment while I review the information provided.

If this is your first time here, I would like to go over a few things:

• If you see an offer for a phone call or remote support, you are welcome to accept it or you can disregard it. Just click on the X and we can resume the conversation.

• Some issues or questions may not have the solution requested. Some issues or concerns may not be resolvable. I will try to explain this ahead of time if I foresee it is a question I cannot answer.

• Some issues may require additional equipment or hardware before we can continue.

• Make sure to bookmark this page. There should be email alerts in your inbox as well with the link back to this page if you were to step away. If you respond when I am not online such as outside of my normal business hours, I will respond as soon as I can.

• If you are prompted to rate me, you can do so by choosing the appropriate amount of stars in the top right and that is all. It cost you nothing further and helps me receive credit for helping you. By rating me (hopefully 5 stars!), it also helps me stay locked to your question so I can continue to assist you in cases where you may have to walk away for a few hours or days and need to report back the findings.

I look forward to working with you today!

I'm sorry to see you're having an issue with the LAN adapter on the TV.Do you have the model number of the TV?

No

Are you able to locate it on the backside of the TV? It's on a sticker usually. If you cannot access it, we can try to troubleshoot other ways. But have the model number allows me to look up any recalls of that exact model.

It's mounted on the wall and I do not have the original purchase papers.

I understand. Give me just a few moments to type up some steps to try.

Are you still there?

Yes I am

Is this a Samsung TV?

What does remote assistance have to do with accessing my TV?
it is a samsung

Please disregard the splash screen ad. I try to warn in my opening. I'm sorry it does that. Just click the X on it.

During the troubleshooting with Verizon and Netflix, did they have you unplug the power to the TV and plug it back in after 10 seconds? What's happening is it's either your network or the TV's ability to communicate with the network. I would like to see if rebooting it could help resolve that.

Okay, they did not have me unplug the TV; I'll do it now and come back to you.

Thank you!

okay, I did it !! So now what?

How often does that message appear about the LAN disconnected? I just wanted to see if it would pop up again.

It just now appeared. The first block of info asks how I want to set up the internet connector.

Oh ok. Since I don't have the model to view how it is shown, we'll have to have you either type what is displayed and we can try to set it up via text or you can send me photos and you can upload them to me on here so I can help you along.

By the way, I am in my computer room using an HP, not a Mac, and I have to keep going to the TV room to see what's happening. That's why my answers are a little delayed. Sorry about that.

That's okay with me!

Of course since I want to take a pic of the message, it isn't popping up. Can you wait a while longer?

I have no problems with that.

Even if you can't get it right this moment, if say it doesn't happen in the meantime. You can still come back to this question and put the image up. The weekends hours for me are very variable but I do check it from my phone but my responses are much shorter than being on a computer. So long story short, I am here to help you even if it doesn't happen right this moment.

Great. But I will try to lay out what the message says:
I have three choices: there are two wireless accounts to choose and a third which doesn't apply to what I want to do. Then you move the cursor over to the right to choose "next", another choice, and then a choice of cancel or close; can't remember which on the last choice.I've tried to choose either wireless accounts, but that other message comes up to say that the Samsung lan adapter is connected. This is strictly from my memory; I'm still hoping the actual screen will pop up eventually.
I mean disconnected.
Excuse me, I need a glass of wine !!

It sounds like it is losing a connection to your wireless internet. Since it's hung up on a wall, unless it's far away from the router, I assume it is wanting to be resetup again to the network. Do you know if this TV was setup wirelessly to your internet or if someone ran a computer cable to hookup to your router? I hate to ask a technical question but that would help me figure out exactly the next step to try.

Oh boy; now you're getting techie on me. Let me say that when I moved into this house, the TV was part of the sale and I "think" it was Time Warner that provided the service. I had Verizon come in to set me up with them and FIOS. Only the box set top is plugged into an outlet. There are a bunch of USB cables, etc hanging from out of the wall inside a cubbyhole cutout, but they go to anything or are plugged into anything. Also, my TV in my finished basement does not have this problem although I have never thought to try to set up Netflix on the basement TV because I generally watch movies, etc in my living room. Does this info help in any way?

Hmm, did it work when they first hooked up service (Verizon)?

I didn't subscribe to Netflix until last July; I've been here for three years . So it wasn't an issue until July.

So since July, you've been having the issue. I hope you don't get annoyed with me asking a similar question but does it allow you to watch Netflix at all or has it never worked on this TV?

Another little tid-bit of info (just in case). At one point I wanted to switch back to Spectrum (Time Warner), but the technician could not find the cable connection (it probably got inaccessible when I had the basement re-finished) so I stayed with Verizon/FIOS.Netflix has never worked on my living room TV.

Oic. So yes, we need to setup the internet on the TV. Do you know or does your husband know the wifi password?

Is that the number located on the back of the router?

Well, it is a password ***** access your wifi.

You would have a wireless network and then it is like a boarding pass to access you personal wireless network. Who setup your wireless network? Did Verizon when they came out?

I think I have it right here. What should I do now?

Great! On your TV, it sounds like it is trying to find the wireless network. Pick the one that is yours. Then it will ask you for a password ***** put that password ***** that you have.

But how do I do that if the message box isn't coming up?

We'll have to have you go into your settings. So since I don't have the model number, my steps are going to be general steps but you will have to try to figure out with me.

You will need to access the TV settings with your TV remote. Then you will go to a Network Connection area. You will need to choose wireless network and it should give you a wireless network to choose from.

I did it; everything was going fine while I was entering the password ***** then the message came up lan disconnected.

Were you able to bypass it and still setup the wireless network?

No, the message came up as I was entering the password.
How would I be able to bypass it?

Do you have a back or exit button on your TV remote?

Try that.

ok

(just responding so it will tell me when you respond again)

For some reason I cannot access settings from my TV remote and ya know what I'm frustrated. We've been conversing for over two hours; I'd like to pick this up later. Can we do that?

No problem! Just leave me a message here and we can resume!

Okay; how about tomorrow at 9:00 a.m.? How do I get in touch with you?

Weekends are usually harder to set times. I hate to word it this way but you can leave me a message on here and I'll respond to you because I check them often. I am in central time zone. What time zone are you in?

Also, does your TV mount all someone with a ladder (if up high) to pull it out to verify the TV model number? That way might be able to give you better instructions that way.

I'm in New York State; will try to get model number before we talk again. I'm 73 and live alone so it might take a little time.
Oh ok! I misunderstood. I look forward to talking with you again
Hello again. I found the sticker on the back of the TV; it is adhered to a little piece of something and I was able to pull it out of the TV.Model #:WIS09ABGN, Ser #WIS234EB235011. It also says 2009 Wireless Lan Adapter.
I was able to take a photo of the message box that I mentioned. Here are the exact words:
Network Settings
Samsung Wireless LAN Adapter connected.
Select how to set up wireless network
WPS(PBC)
One Foot Connection
Wireless GeneralSet up wireless network by selecting your Wireless Router. You may need to enter security key depending on the setting of the Wireless Router. Next or Cancel.
It also says to make sure the lan adapter cable is connected showing a usb cable poking back and forth looking for a connection.
Select wireless general. It should take you to a screen with wireless networks. You'll choose the name of your wireless network and it will ask you for a password ***** you said you think you have.
I've done that several times and the message "Lan adapter disconnected" comes up everytime. I've tried using the exit or back choice to get rid of it in order to keep going, but it won't let me.
I am fresh out of ideas. I think your tv is missing a part. I'm going to opt out to have another expert step in to see if there are any steps I'm missing. You won't have to do anything on your end.
Mac Support Specialist: Nathan, Hardware Engineer replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Hardware Engineer

I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

Can you please disconnect (pull out) the usb "stick" lan adapter (it looks like this: http://amzn.to/2C2wuBs) from the tv.

Then also unplug power to the tv for about 5 minutes,

replug the stick then replug power and try going into the network settings again to see if you can connect, and let me know the results.

Okay, I did it and now the verizon service won't turn on. So now I can't even get normal TV
Does it make a difference if plugged in the TV before re-installing the stick?
It should not matter but you can unplug and try once more to be safe.
Also there are five choices to insert the stick; does it matter which one I use?
are you there?
There should be only one USB port that is where it needs to go.
How do I tell which one to use; there are five of them !
I think you are seeing hdmi ports. That is not the same. There is no way the tv has 5 USB ports. There is only one usb and that is where it needs to go.
I can't find it. Where is it on the back of the TV?
Nathan, I'm trying everything possible. I do not have TV access anymore. Tomorrow is a holiday so I can't even get someone in here to fix this new problem. What can I do?

Did you disconnect anything else, or just the stick?

Can you tell me the model number of the tv please? All I see posted here from before is the lan adapter model.

Model UN46D6050
add TF to the model number

The usb port (for the stick) is on the side of the tv (not the back) and there is only one that it fits into.

Okay, there is no port on any side of the TV. I originally took out the lan adapter from the back of the TV when Mike told me to remove it.
Nathan, I have been on line with you and Mike since 10:20 a.m., EST, and now I have no TV. I have to step away from this for now and hope for the best. Let's continue tomorrow; there are things I have to get done today and now behind. Thx for your help; talk to you tomorrow.
No problem feel free to get back in touch anytime.
Happy New Year, Nathan.I've just realized something. As I said, I removed the lan adapter from the back of the TV from one of those ports that you say must be HMDI ports. That means that the lan adapter was never installed correctly from the beginning. So now I need to know where the REAL usb port is on the TV. You said it is on the side of the TV, but there is no port on either side. So where the heck is the darn thing ??!!

The port should be on the side of the tv.

There is only one, it is labeled usb, and it is the same type of usb port you'd find on your computer.

My TV is mounted on the wall; the TV is a 1/4 thick on all sides; there is no port. Is there any possibility that you could reference a user's manual to actually see where the port is or should be?

I have, it is on the side of the tv exactly where I stated, and this tv is far more than 1/4 inch thick, the port is recessed a bit on the side, along with the other side ports.

You will need to pull/tilt it out from the wall a bit to access it.

Sorry Nathan; still can't find it. Thanks for trying; I'm done.

Okay, let me give you some additional information then.

I'm confident the port is there, but understand it may be difficult to find.

However, even if you did get it connected, it probably would not give you what you want. This is an older (2009) model tv, all support for it was discontinued 7 years ago, which means that all the apps/software are out of date and virtually none of the apps will work anymore. Amazon and youtube for example won't work at all.

In the end, you'd actually be best off just leaving the lan adapter disconnected and using the tv as a tv only, forgetting about its discontinued smart features,

then instead connect up an external streaming device (simply plugs into a hdmi port on back of the tv) like a a roku or fire tv and get all the same functions and many more, with better performance and support.

Best regards,

Nathan, Hardware Engineer