Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

How do I approve my iPad for the two factor authentication…

Customer Question
How do I approve...

How do I approve my iPad for the two factor authentication on my mac

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Mac? What about your iPad?

IPad is current

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried with your Mac?

I've looked in my ICloud set up and don't see anything there to add or approve any devices.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Where do I find the operating system version on my mac?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mac
12/29/2017
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Apple Consultant replied 6 months ago
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Hello! My name is***** will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information. Please give me a minute to read over your submission...

Can you tell me what version of iOS you are currently running on the iPad, please?

From the Home screen;

tap Settings

tap General

tap About

On the About screen, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Thanks,

11.2.1
MacAir is running OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

Thanks.

First, you must be using the same Apple ID on both devices.

Next, on the iPad, tap Settings

tap your user name at the top of the screen

tap Password & Security

What does it list for Two-Factor Authentication?

Two factor is ON

Ok, in that case it should already be working. What problem are you running into?

I have a
On the Settings pages under my names - it has the two factor auth.. field with a RED circle 1. which says that I need a password ***** verification code.
Select Continue:
enter password ***** account, enter passcode for iPad - then I get a screen that says...
Approve this IPAD.
go to one of your other devices signed into iCloud to approve this I Pad.I can not find anywhere on the MAC that shows where I can APPROVE this device.
It is listed on the connected devices screens.

Ok, normally you should get a pop-up on the Mac.

Is it already configured for Two-Factor Authentication?

1. Open System Preferences on the Mac and select iCloud. Click the Account Detailsbutton, and sign in if prompted.
  2. In the Security tab, click the button labeled Turn on two-factor authentication. Read the message and click Continue.
  3. Verify your identity by answering your security questions.
  4. Enter a phone number you can use to receive verification codes, and choose if you want to get text messages or calls.
  5. Enter the code that’s sent you to right away to finish up.
Well, the Two factor authentication is ON ( green dot) on the MAC. So the only option is to reset password.
I got a pop up on the iPad that the ID was being used and I get a code, but never have a place on the Mac to enter the code ?

It appears that the feature is enabled and working on the iPad. If you try to sign into iCloud.com from Safari on the Mac, does it result in a code being displayed on the iPad and a request for code displayed on the Mac?

I think I now resolved the issue. I reset the iCloud security code on the Mac, which then prompted the IPad to ask for the codes to be re-entered. Error message now cleared and working.
Seems I was stuck in a loop between the devices and the reset resolved.
All good.

Excellent! Glad to hear it.