Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Want charge. Charged from 20 percent to 35 percent and won't…

Customer Question
Want charge. Charged from...

Want charge. Charged from 20 percent to 35 percent and won't charge further. Did a reset and then a factory reset but no difference. iPad Air 2

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iPad?

Is 11.2

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iPad? What have you tried so far?

36 hours

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mac
12/29/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 3 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! I am Justin. Let me take a chance to look over your question. If you have any additional details please type it in and hit the reply to expert button.

If you would like remote support please select the option and we can continue. If you do not want remote support please ignore the prompt.

So right now you iPad is charging, but stuck at 35%?

That's right ,But the charging symbol is there and it has green charging light. Just not charging . Tried different adapters etc but no change

Have you tried another power adapter?

No it's iPad u can't connect

Ignore that. Like I said in my first statement.

Tried three . Iph plus another 2 spare. I didn't drop it bang it etc etc

Well that seems like a large enough pool to know it is not the charger. I think you need a battery replacement.

Tried charging with power shut down but didn't do anything. Connection jack doesn't feel loose

I believe your iPad requires a new battery.

it goes from charging quick to not charging in 18 hours .really

Exactly. Bad cells. You already did a factory restore. So the battery has to be bad.

Not very happy with your answer. Not logical ? I have another iPad 3 from new never skipped a beat. Still going strong . Have u looked at Apple new update and the problems coming with it. OH of course u have your the expert?

Ok. I am not sure why you are being so rude. You gave me the details of the issue. It will charge to 35 percent and no further. You have already done a factory reset and that did not resolve the issue. Any Genius at an Apple Store would tell you the same thing. Did you set the iPad up as a new iPad when you did the factory reset?

I did . Googled latest upgrade 2. Not meaning to be rude but have you looked at it . It says beta upgrade. ?... iTunes does automatic upgrades on my computer. So is that the problem ? I don t have a repair shop within 300 kilometres . So actually need to know what in approx I'm Looking at

There is not a beta upgrade that you would be on unless you are in the beta program.

I understand how frustrating it can be, but a new OS is not going to fix a charging issue. It is hardware no matter how you slice it or what information you find on the internet. When I worked for Apple I replaced several iPads for the exact same issue. It is not something that requires a lot of thought. It either works or it doesn't. I am sorry this is not the outcome you wanted, but I am not going to lie to you.

That is where you r so wrong. In notifications I message iPad upgrade . Have to go back find the message? I don't know where to look? I think it said .11.2.1 not sure but it never mentioned beta , googled that my iPad stopped charging.
But never had the charging issue till after the upgrade.

Ok. I have tried to help you, but you clearly are looking for something that does not exist. I am going to open this up to other experts. Maybe they can help you find this thing you expect to find.

Mac Support Specialist: cvd4311, Computer Analyst replied 3 months ago
cvd4311
cvd4311, Computer Analyst

I had two Ipad's to do the same thing and Justin is correct, it is the battery. I had to take it back to Apple and they replaced it. If you have a warranty it will not be a charge but if it is out of warranty they charge is somewhere around 279.00.

Sorry to say it looks like a new Ipad is in your future. If it is under a year old up until 30 days after it expires they Ipad can be replaced for free. If it is over 13 months old Apple store will charge you around the amount above.

I turned the power off completely and left it on charge overnight in 3 hours it went from 30% to45% unplugged in the morning it was at 100% within 2 minutes it was 2% so plugged it back in and it was 100% again. ...

The problem is that your battery has gone bad. Yes you can leave it plugged in and get the 100% but just like you said as soon as you unplug it, it will loose it's charge. You will have to take it into a Apple Store to either get them to fix the battery (if it is under warranty or they will give you a new one). If it is not under warranty (it is over a year old) they will charge you a partial fee to give you a new one.

cvd4311
cvd4311
cvd4311, Computer Analyst