Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

It's saying activation lock. I bought it from someone else…

Customer Question
It's saying activation lock ...

It's saying activation lock

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

I bought it from someone else and they don't remember the password

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

No I don't know how

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Will that unlock it?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mac
12/28/2017
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Apple Consultant replied 6 months ago
John T. F., Apple Consultant

Hello! My name is***** will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information. Please give me a minute to read over your submission...

You are dealing with a high level security feature and the original owner must unlock this device. It is their responsibility to make good on the sale to you and should reset the password ***** then unlock the iPhone for you.

I'll provide directions that you can pass along to help them;

First; how to reset the password ***** their Apple ID:
==========

Your Apple ID is normally your email address. You should be able to reset your password ***** the site: http://iforgot.apple.com/

enter your Apple ID and click Continue.

-Select Email authentication followed by Next.

Check your email and there should be a message from Apple with instructions on how to reset your password.

If you can’t use your email address, another option you have available is to reset your password ***** answering the security questions you created when you setup your account.

enter your Apple ID and click Continue.

-Select Answer security questions and click Continue.

-Set the birthday you used for the account and clicking Continue.

- Answer the security questions you picked when you set the account up.

If you answer these successfully, you should be able to reset your password ***** access your AppleID again.

* IF YOU FORGOT THE APPLE ID ITSELF: If you go to the above mentioned site you will see an option in the lower, middle of the page labeled “Forgot your Apple ID?”. If you click this, it will ask for some rather simple information that you should know as the owner of the account ( first name, last name, current email address plus the ability to enter additional email addresses if it has changed since you created the Apple ID).

Once you have the Apple ID and have reset the password, test out that it is working properly by signing into the Apple ID management site:

https://appleid.apple.com/ (under "Manage Your Apple account")

Now, to remove the device from their account:
===========

1. Turn the device in question Off or put it in airplane mode. If the device is on and Find My iPhone has an active location, it will not allow you to delete it.

2. From a computer, go to www.icloud.com and sign in using the iCloud ID that is currently tied to the device in question.

3. Now click on Find My iPhone.

4. Click on All Devices at the top of the Find My iPhone screen.

5. Find the device in question in the list and click on it.

6. On the next screen, click on Remove from Account. You may get a popup over the map instead, if that's the case, refer to below.

7. One more popup will come up asking you to confirm. Click on Remove.

Note: If you got a popup with device information on the map instead of the device information screen, verify the device is Off and Find My iPhone isn't finding a location for it. If that's the case, follow these steps:

1. Click on All Devices at the top of the Find My iPhone screen one more time.

2. Find the device in the list again and this time you should see a gray x appear to the right of it. Click it.

3. A popup will appear asking you if you're sure you want to remove the device. Click Remove.

Then, you can restart the device and it should be unlocked! :-)

If you still have concerns, don’t negatively rate my answer, just reply back and let me know. I'll be happy to advise you further. When finished, please give a positive rating so I can be credited for my assistance. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,