Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Really stressed trying to backup my new iPhone which the…

Customer Question
Really stressed trying to...

Really stressed trying to backup my new iPhone which the store gave me as they couldn't fix my old one and its telling me my password ***** backup is wrong I really need to get my data back

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

My apple id is fine but it seems the encryption is different?

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

How do I do this I am so stressed hugely important data

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I just need to get my back up happening or I am totally screwed please don't do this to me i am so stressed can you help me o

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mac
12/28/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 1 month ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

It sounds like you created an encrypted backup from your itunes and you dont know the password ***** it. If that is the case, you have to options at this point.

Option 1 - You still have the old phone with all the current information still on it:

1. On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Reset.
  2. Tap Reset All Settings and enter your iOS passcode.
  3. Follow the steps to reset your settings. This won't affect your user data or passwords, but it will reset settings like display brightness, Home screen layout, and wallpaper. It also removes your encrypted backup password.
  4. Connect your device to iTunes again and create a new encrypted backup.

Option 2 - you do not have the old phone in your possession so you can check if you have an icloud backup instead.

Restore your device from an iCloud backup

1. Turn on your new device. You should see a Hello screen. If you already set up your device, you need to erase all of its content before you can use these steps to restore from your backup.
  2. Follow the onscreen setup steps until you reach the Apps & Data screen, then tap Restore from iCloud Backup.
  3. Sign in to iCloud with your Apple ID.
  4. Choose a backup. Look at the date and size of each and pick the most relevant. After you choose, the transfer starts. If a message says that a newer version of iOS is required, follow the onscreen steps to update (If you don't see onscreen steps to help you update, learn what to do).
  5. When asked, sign in to your Apple ID account to restore your apps and purchases (If you've purchased iTunes or App Store content using multiple Apple IDs, you'll be asked to sign in to each). If you can’t remember your password, you can tap Skip this Step and sign in later.
  6. Stay connected and wait for a progress bar to appear and complete. Depending on the size of the backup and the network speed, the progress bar might need a few minutes to an hour to complete. If you disconnect from Wi-Fi too soon, the progress will pause until you reconnect.
  7. Now you can finish setup and enjoy your device. Content like your apps, photos, music, and other information will continue to restore in the background for the next several hours or days, depending on the amount of information there is. Try to connect often to Wi-Fi and power to let the process complete.

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Jon
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast