Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My wife lost her iPhone today. She doesn't know her Cloud…

Customer Question
My wife lost her...

My wife lost her iPhone today. She doesn't know her Cloud back-up password ***** she has never backed up her phone. Does the phone automaticly back-up, even if she didn't know it was doing it?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iPhone?

My phone is running 11.2.1 (15C153)

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iPhone? What have you tried so far?

Nothing,

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I'm trying to determine if there is a cloud account for my wife's phone. We were told if we can access the information in the back-up we may be able to locate the phone? I know it is a long shot. Short of locating the phone, retrieval of information and photos would be nice.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mac
12/28/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 6 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Sorry, for the delay. OK. Well the answer is kind of yes as far as the answer to does the iphone back up on its own. If the phone was ever set up to use icloud then yes. If it was not, then no it would not be able to know to backup on its own. So, in saying that, when a phone is lost, there is also a feature called "find my iphone" and usually if someone has the iphone backing up to the icloud then they also have the find my iphone feature on as well. The only way to know is by going to www.icloud.com and sign in with the apple id and password ***** with the phone. However, there lies another issue as you explained. Therefore, if your not sure of the password ***** the apple id or not even sure of the apple id, you can go to https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid on any other device or computer or I can try for you as well if needed, but you would enter the apple id and hit continue. Apple will then provide you with an option to reset your password ***** by email, security questions, text message, etc.

Then you can try and go to www.icloud.com and try and sign in with your apple id and new password ***** just reset. Then if successful in signing into icloud, you will be open photos to see if there are pictures backed up, contacts, mail, ect. Also, you will see the "find iphone" icon. You can click this as it will let you know if you have had it on this entire time or not by it being able to see the iphones location. You may need to click "all devices" at the top of the screen if you have several so you can choose the correct device you are looking for. Then you can choose to erase or lock the phone as well.

Aside from the find iphone app you will see the "settings" icon. Click this and then under the advanced section, you will see a links called "restore files", contacts, etc. You can use this for when you get a new phone.

You can also check your computer if you have one as you may have used itunes to backup the phone to as well. If that is the case you can check by doing the following:

1. Open iTunes. Click iTunes in the menu bar, then choose Preferences.
  2. Click Devices.

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.