Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

The passcode has been forgotten and we want to remove the…

Customer Question
The passcode has been...

The passcode has been forgotten and we want to remove the code, but not want to erase the contents

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

Last night during the last IOS update. We never had a passcode before that and inadvertently put one in.

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

NO. DOn't know how.

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

That's all, but thank you for your assistance.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mac
12/27/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 6 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! I am Justin. Let me take a chance to look over your question. If you have any additional details please type it in and hit the reply to expert button.

If you would like remote support please select the option and we can continue. If you do not want remote support please ignore the prompt.

My mother was updating to a new IOS and when it asked for a code she thought she had to put one in. She was using the phone ok this am, but has now forgotten the code (she's 89) and we want to remove it all together to prevent her loss of memory again. She does not want to lose the phone numbers she already has.

The only way to remove a code you don't know is to erase the phone. Is that something you want to do?

NO

Well that is the only way to remove the pass code. So unless she can remember it we are at an impasse.

right now the phone is disabled and says to connect to iTunes. Is there anyway to by pass it and get in there to try some more possible codes?

At this point no. It is in defense because it is acting like someone is trying to brute force it. Now it will not let you through unless you erase the device. It is a safety measure.

ok, well thank you anyway.Goodbye.

What is your plan now?

to break the news to mama
is there any other way to retrieve the data? She is not on the Cloud

I am so sorry. Sometimes iTunes will let you back up even when it is disabled.