Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I received a message REP 2712-1702-6478 telling me that I…

Customer Question
I received a message...

I received a message REP 2712-1702-6478 telling me that I need to get on line or my program will be shut down.

Technician's Assistant: When was the last time you updated the Operating System (OS) on your Apple device?

Yesteday

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

It keeps on telling me that my password ***** ***** and I just changed it yesterday

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
12/27/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you. Which company did the caller claim to be from?

Apple support. Could you call me as I cannot give you the message I received if I am on line.
My phone number is(###) ###-####Thanks
I would like your help from where I am. Thanks.

This call was not from apple. It is a very common tech support scam which usually originate in India. The trick is for them to scare you into giving them access to your computer and then they will lie about issues that you do not have and try to make you pay hundreds of dollars to fix the fake issues.

Your computer does not report problems or issues to anyone so if any company calls you about the computer you can be sure it is a scam. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating for providing you a quick answer! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

It was not a call, it was an email from Apple

It still sounds like a scam. What program did they would be shut down?

Have a look at this page and see if anything listed sounds familiar, if it does it is a scam and you can just delete the email:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204759