Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have recently upgraded to IOS 11. Now I have an app that…

Customer Question
I have recently upgraded...

I have recently upgraded to IOS 11. Now I have an app that will not open. It is called Recipe Book and has thousands of my personal recipes loaded into it. I get a message that the app has not been upgraded for IOS11. I have tried but cannot contact the app developer. My IPAD was backed up, but we are unable to extract the files from the recipe book. Help!!!!

Technician's Assistant: When could you last open your software?

When I was on IOS 10

Technician's Assistant: Did you recently update your software or version of iOS?

I recently upgraded to IOS11 and now can no longer open this specific app calledRecipe Book

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

That’s all

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
12/27/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jeremy K, Mac Enthusiast replied 4 months ago
Jeremy K
Jeremy K, Mac Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help with your question. Just give me a moment to review the chat to make sure I don't leave out any details.

So to confirm - is this Recipe Book app an icon with a chef's knife and some scallions on a cutting board? Just need to test and see if it's compatible with iOS 11.

No. It’s just a green leafy background with white lettering “Recipe Book” written on it. I have taken a screenshot. How can I send it to you?
Do you have any advice on how I can extract the files from this app? Or how to contact the app developer?
Is Jeremy K still there?

Still here - sorry for the delay!

I got a message that you can’t connect for secure remote assistance. Should I try again?

So, I think I can address your question without the secure remote assistance session. We can set it up, of course, but I'm happy to save you a bit of money if you like.

That screen shot you've provided me with actually gives me all the information I need to help you with your question.

Definitely good to sav money! What do we do now?
Great! Waiting for your advice.

The problem, as you've probably already noticed, is that the app hasn't been updated to work with iOS 11. Apple made a *ton* of changes in this version, so it involves a lot of work for software developers. Some of the big companies are all over this upgrade, but for the smaller software developers this can take a bit more time.

There are basically two options open to you. You can just hang in there and wait for the software developer to do the update, sending them queries and gentle pressure (but sometimes they may not even have an email to reach them at). The other option will be to downgrade your device back to iOS 10. Downgrading can be a tad complicated.

I tried to google how to downgrade. Even asked our IT department to help. There are all kinds of warnings not to downgrade. But I am desperate to get my recipes back. How can I downgrade.
Do you think it is feasible to downgrade safely?

Give me just a few minutes and I'll do a quick bit of research to see what the state of downgrading is like on these devices. Don't want to lead you into something you can't do! Just for my information, what kind of device is this? I.e. iphone, ipad 2, etc.?

It’s an IPAD Air2

Ok, research complete. Here's the situation:

Downgrading was possible until about 2 weeks ago, when apple stopped providing download services for iOS 10.3.3. You are not alone in being frustrated about this - Apple can be quite draconian about pushing out their upgrades without necessarily warning people about the consequences and there are many users who aren't happy with this "latest and greatest" approach to the technology.

There are still some ways to attempt a downgrade via jailbreaking your iPad, but this is very complicated and not recommended unless you're a serious hacker (like me) and also willing to possibly disable your iPad if things go wrong (not me).

So the thing we need to find out is how you can reach that software developer to ask them about how long it will be until they do an update of the Recipe Book app and also to ask if there are ways to get your thousands of recipes out of that app safely in the meantime.

I'm just looking up the developer and app now to see if I can find some details.

I'm having some trouble locating the app (there are literally thousands of applications with "recipe book" in the title). Would you mind tapping that "Learn More" button to see what Apple takes you to? Ideally I'm hoping it may provide the name of the software company that wrote it somewhere. Will keep searching in the meantime!

Hi Jeremy, are you still there?

Yep - I'm here! Did you get my last note asking if you could tap that "Learn More" button?

It says I should contact the app developer. But the app is no longer available in the App Store. How can I trace the pp developer?

Ok - let's try this: Open "App Store" on your iPad, then tap "Purchased" at the bottom. Find the "RecipeBook" app in that window, then tap on the icon. This will take you to the screen for the app, scroll all the way to the bottom and look for the "Information" window, which will include "Developer". Can you tell me who the developer is? I'll look up details for you. :)

ok Let me try that
It doesn’t even come up because it is no longer in the App Store

Hmmm. That is not good. Leaving no stone unturned... let's try another route: can you also connect your iPad to your PC and open up iTunes? I want to see if it's possible to export data from that app. Once iTunes is open and you have your device connected, navigate to "File Sharing". You can find some useful screenshots here: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201301

Am I right in thinking that the app RecipeBook doesn't have a sync feature, but just stores those recipes locally on your iPad?

What I want to see is whether any documents show up on that file sharing screen for the RecipeBook app. Let me know if/when you've found it in iTunes and if there's any data listed there.

I've also been checking to see if there's another recipe app (like "Big Oven" or "Paprika") you can use which will be able to import data from RecipeBook. Sometimes they offer importing features, and depending on the type of database RecipeBook's dev uses, we may be able to import into another app.

Are you still with me? We can pick this back up a bit later if you'd like.

I think just stored locally

Had a feeling it was probably set up that way. Any luck finding the app in iTunes and looking for files shared there? There's a 50/50 (or slightly better) chance the database is available for download there.

I will search.
But what do you recommend about the option to downgrade the IOS?

Sorry - I think you missed my note about downgrading in the flurry of description above. Here's an extract:

If we can't get data out of your iPad, via file sharing then there's just one final option - this is to find a friend with an iPad running iOS 10.x. Have them back-up their device and loan it to you temporarily, restore a previous backup of your iPad (from before then upgrade to iOS 11). This will enable you to open the RecipeManager app, and export the data from inside it so that you can port it to another application. This would be involved, but not insurmountable.

Should I try to downgrade? How?
Are you still there Jeremy?
Sorry, missed your responses. Will try your recommendations. Thanks.

Let me know how you get on! And if you feel like I've answered your question, don't forget to mark this one as "answered" and leave a rating. Thanks for your business, Jeremy.

Just wanted to check back in and see how you've gotten on - is there anything else I can help with? And in the meantime, happy new year!

Jeremy K
Jeremy K
Jeremy K, Mac Enthusiast