Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I purchased the IOS version of Office for Mac years ago and…

Customer Question
I purchased the IOS...

I purchased the IOS version of Office for Mac years ago and have been using it regularly on my IPad. I also purchased it for my MacBook Air and iMac. Why is the IOS version not letting me create new files or edit existing files requiring me to login in Office 365?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

Apple ID?

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

What is that?

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No, but I have to complete something today

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/26/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jeremy K, Mac Enthusiast replied 3 months ago
Jeremy K
Jeremy K, Mac Enthusiast
Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I'll see about helping you with your question. I'm sorry you've been waiting so long for an answer!I have just one clarifying question - when you say you've purchased MS office for iOS, do you have a subscription to Office365?
No, I do not have a subscription to ***** forcing people like myself who purchased Office for Mac a few years ago to now subscribe to Office365? How can I avoid this. The delay in being able to use Word and Excel on my iPad is costing me a lot of money!!!
Are you going to solve my problem or not? How can you charge me when you have not solved the problem?!!

Hello again - sorry for the delay, I'm in the UK, so your reply came in the middle of the night.

And yes, you're correct in diagnosing the fact that Microsoft is migrating in a heavy handed way to a subscription based system. I totally agree that it's frustrating as I've also been forced off access as well. The current (and probably for the forseeable future) situation is this: the iOS apps work on a restricted basis (i.e. view only) for free, but then require a subscription for saving files or any other features. Microsoft had extended a fairly wide "grace" policy until very recently, so many users like you and I were able to use the suite because of a former purchase or use of a parallel application (like OneDrive). Now there's simply no way around purchasing an Office365 subscription. The best news I can offer is that you can go for the "Home" subscription on an annual basis, it's just over $5 a month (there's no reason to go for the more expensive "business" product unless you're planning to have multiple users). If you're a student or teacher, they offer a further discounted version that runs around $3 a month. You can view further details on the scheme here: https://products.office.com/en-us/compare-all-microsoft-office-products?tab=1.

Please don't hesitate to come back to me if you have other clarifying questions - I'm pretty familiar with all the various Microsoft product tiers so can help you navigate getting this service reinstated at the lowest possible rate if that's helpful. I'll be here until at least 10pm GMT (that's 2pm West Coast time) and can arrange a specific time to chat it out here if that's useful for you, just let me know your preferred times.

Jeremy K
Jeremy K
Jeremy K, Mac Enthusiast