Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Every time I update I end up loosing songs I've purched.

Customer Question
Every time I update...

Every time I update I end up loosing songs I've purched

Technician's Assistant: What kind of Apple device do you have? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Apple device? What have you tried so far?

It my computer this keeps happening

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mac
12/24/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Pete, Computer Engineer replied 6 months ago
Pete, Computer Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

To get your songs back after they have disappeared during an update you will need to restore the music from a previous iTunes library.

To do this:

(1) Close iTunes.
(2) Find your iTunes library folder and go into it. On Windows, it should be in Users\[Your Username]\Music\iTunes\. On Mac, it should be in Go > Home > Music > iTunes.
(2) Find the iTunes Library.itl file and drag and drop it over onto your desktop.

(3) Find the Previous iTunes Libraries folder that’s in the iTunes folder and open it.

(4) Find an older iTunes library, preferably the one made before you updated. It will have a name like “iTunes Library [date in YYYY-MM-DD format].”
(5) Select the file and copy it.
(6) Navigate back up to your iTunes Libraries folder.
(7) Paste the older iTunes Library file there.
(8) Rename the file “iTunes Library.itl.”
(9) Hold Shit key (Win) or Option key (Mac) and launch iTunes.
(10) iTunes will ask you to choose a library. Browse and pick the new iTunes Library.itl file.

--------------------

Happy Holidays!

Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!

Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page to finish; tips appreciated :)

You can always reply back after rating me if you need any further assistance at all.

Pete.

--------------------