Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

WILL NOT BOOT. iT STARTED BY SAYING THERE WAS A BATTERY

Customer Question
WILL NOT BOOT. iT...

WILL NOT BOOT. iT STARTED BY SAYING THERE WAS A BATTERY PROBLEM COUPLE WEEKS AGO. NOW WILL NOT BOOT... BUT THEN SOME HOW I DON'T KNOW IF IT CORRECTED THE TOO MANNY CORPES BEING CREATED BUT I DO BELIEVE IT IS UNMOUNTED NOW...

Technician's Assistant: When was the last time you updated the Operating System (OS) on your Apple device?

IT DID AN UPDATE A FEW WEEKS BACK AS I RECALL...

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Name of the unmounted hdd is something like 10.13.2 or similiar to that

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mac
12/24/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Pete, Computer Engineer replied 6 months ago
Pete, Computer Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Please confirm the make and model number of the device?

2010 27” imac with 8 gig ram... i cannot see any data from it

Have you tried mounting the HDD on another computer to read it?

No this is the only imac i have

Ok, so the HDD is still inside the machine?

Run Disk Utility and check if the drive appears in the sidebar. If it does, but the volume under the drive is shown but grayed out, select the volume and click the Mount button in the toolbar to mount it again.

Let me know if that works?

I don’t see it there, but i see the startup hdd “OS X Base System macOS, 10.13.2” at the choose startup disk prompt...
Then I restarted it goes back to the disk utility area again...

If the disc is not showing there then either it has become disconnected or it has failed.

Can you open the iMac and check the HDD is still securely connected?

That may take me a bit to do... i have never done that before, but i can try in a few minutes... cover off by sunction , 8 screws holding screen... four connections to disconnect...and remove it...

Ok, let me know what you find...