Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I purchased an ipad from someone on ebay, and they

Customer Question
I purchased an ipad...

I purchased an ipad from someone on ebay, and they thought(at least that's what he said) that he reset to factory. But it is activation locked. He has sent me his gmail address, security question answers, but claims that he doesn't have an apple ID. It was supposed to be a Christmas present, and he said he was leaving on a day trip. The trip was to Japan and he wished my luck and said that maybe I would have to get another ipad and he would refund my money. I'm in a very rural area so the likelihood of finding one the Saturday before Christmas is almost impossible. Is there really a way to set up an ipad without an apple ID and still have an activation lock?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

I have never changed mine, but I don't know about him.

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

I didn't yet because I thought that I needed the apple id originally used to set up this ipad, that I bought from a third party.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Just wondering if there is anything that I can do without the apple ID?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mac
12/23/2017
Mac Support Specialist: AnswersByEric, Computer Support Specialist replied 6 months ago
AnswersByEric
AnswersByEric, Computer Support Specialist

In this specific case, you need to follow the steps below, and you will have an iPad you can use!

You need to have iTunes installed on a computer to do this, so if you don't have it, click here to get it.

1. Open the iTunes program on the computer.
  2. Connect your iPad to your computer via the USB cable.
  3. While your device is connected, follow this step:
    • Press and hold both the Home and the Power buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
  4. When you see the option to 'Restore or Update' pop up in iTunes on your computer, choose Restore.
    iTunes will download software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3.
  5. Wait for the process to finish. Then you can setup and use your device.

My goal today is to provide you with the best service possible! I sincerely ***** ***** have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know

It still says activation lock. An apple ID and password ***** needed to open this ipad. The answer was no different than what iTunes told. I bought this ipad on ebay from a third party. They said they didn't use an apple ID to set this ipad. But obviously he did or it wouldn't be activation locked. My problem is still not solved. Unless you can tell me how to maneuver around an activation lock. If you can't then my problem will still exist and I shouldn't have to pay anything.

If it still says that, then the restore was not successful. If the restore process is successful, then nothing that was previously on the device will still be there, it will start as if it was turned on for the first time. I can only recommend you repeat the process and make sure you see iTunes telling you it is restoring the iPad.

Can you connect remotely and fix this problem? If not then I'm done.

I cannot accept that request, as you have to physically reset the iPad in your hands, and I cannot do that without being there in person. I promise, the steps work, I have used them myself thousands of times, and over 5,000 people on this site alone have rated my service on this issue as 5 stars.

Still didn't work.
The info didn't work. I don't know what to do on the star rating, because I'm not satisfied. So I can't do ok or good, but poor or bad will hurt you so I will just click out.

Alright, I appreciate your realizing that the rating is for my service, and not your device itself. There is unfortunately no other method to use with an iPad to restore it. You can take it into an Apple Store (don't tell them you bought it used, just tell them you've had it for a while). If they cannot fix it, they may replace it.