Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Did an update today that asked for a passcode. I entered the…

Customer Question
Did an update today...

Did an update today that asked for a passcode. I entered the one I had written down but two more fidgets were asked for. I just entered two more letters and must have written it down wrong. Now my phone is locked out. I waited the minutes and tried again...and again. Now I fear I may be permently locked out.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

This passcode.

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

No.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Can I use an iPad to do this since my iPhone is unusuable

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
12/21/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Vinod Menon, Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Hi
Is it asking for a 6 digit passcode or the Apple ID password?
Thank you
Vinod
A 6 digit PASSCODE.
Thank you.
If you forget the passcode, unfortunately, the only way out is to restore the iPhone to factory settings. This may delete contents from the phone if you don’t have a backup.
Do you have iTunes installed in your computer?
If you are unable to connect for a Secure Remote Assistance, what am I to do now?
I do have iTunes installed on my computer.
Secure remote assistance is a system generated message. Please neglect that.
Here’s how to restore the iPhone.
Open iTunes in the computer and connect the iPhone to the computer.
Now, on the iPhone, press and hold the power button and home button together for 30 sec.
Your computer should now give a message that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode and needs to be restored.
Restore the iPhone now.
Let me know if you find any difficulty.
Thank You for your willingness to help, but I was able to find the digit combination and was allowed in. Lucky this time.
Good to know that you found the correct passcode:)
That saved the phone contents.
Happy holidays!
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you.