Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have an iphone4 which was passed on to me from someone who…

Good morning Technician's Assistant:...

Good morning

Technician's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

I have an iphone4 which was passed on to me from someone who is now deceased and Ive had it for many years now. All of a sudden it needs to be unlocked and I have no idea what the original owners Apple ID or password ***** Can you help me

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

Honestly I can't remember. It's always just been running under the previous owner and he never wiped the phone before he gave it to me. If I have changed my password ***** Apple ID it's been so long since I did I don't remember what they are and I would of put it in my notes on my phone but of course I can't get into it. I would always bypass that request when it came up as it was for previous owner so I just hit Not Now when it came up on my screen.

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

No I havent

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so, but thank you for your help so far.

Answered in 1 hour by:
12/18/2017
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

To clarify, it is asking to be activated with the Apple ID used on the phone.

Is this correct?

Please let me know

Thank you

Hi Richard, yes it is along with the password ***** was used to set up the phone which neither of I know
unfortunately

Thanks

Try to retrieve it via the link below

https://iforgot.apple.com/appleid#!&section=appleid

Once done, you will likely need to reset your password ***** this you can do via my link below

https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid

Use the link to reset your password ***** once done use this new password

Once done, you can use these details to sign in on your device

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Else let me know the results please.

Hi Richard, I've done what you said but it wants to send me an email to an address that has since changed as the
old provider stopped its services as of 30/11 and all emails were sent to the new one from the old one up until that date. I don't have an Apple ID attached to my new email as yet and when I tried to create one it won't let me. You are corresponding to my new correct email address. I was with Vodafone but have switched to gmail

Thanks

You can also choose then the option to answer the security questions you set instead.

Please choose that instead

I tried too many times to answer those correctly due to again it being such a long time ago that I answered them
and can't remember. It says to try again later. I've changed my email address and now that's a problem also as the site can't reply to me. I would get you to do it remotely but can't afford another $56 on my credit card just to get this sorted especially
when I don't know why it's happened after all these years of using this phone. Very frustrating I must say.

Ok, your best option will be to go into an Apple Store with the device and photo ID.

Then have it reset in person.

If you cannot answer the security questions or the email address the account is linked to, this will then be the only option left for you to do sorry.

Richard, Apple Software Engineer
I will have to do that then. Thanks for trying to help me sort it out. Lesson learnt when acquiring a 2hand phone, make sure
it's deactivated by previous owner first. Thanks again, have a Merry Christmas.
Good evening. I have been trying to set up my Apple ID and get all the way to entering in my emailed verification code, I do that
And it says we've run into a problem please try again later. So I have, 3 or 4 times now with the same response and to no reason why it is not processing. I can't set up Facebook messenger or any apps till this is loaded. Your help would be greatly appreciated.ThanksSarah