Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My Mac freezes now when starting up after my husband tried…

Customer Question
My Mac freezes now when...
My Mac freezes now when starting up after my husband tried to enable cookies. The only thing I get is a white screen with the logo and the bar that looks like an update is downloading but it gets to the end and stops
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
12/18/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Richard, Apple Software Engineer replied 7 months ago
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Shut down your Mac.

Find Command (⌘), Option, P, and R on your keyboard.

Turn on your Mac.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.

Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.

Release the keys.

Tell me if it then starts up correctly?

Thank you

Thank you

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

I did all of this restarted computer as instructed and it is still the same

Can you power it off, then hold the shift key and with it held, power it on until you get to the sign in screen, then try to sign in.

Tell me if you can then sign in please

The only way to power off is to unplug

yes, power it off that way please

That didn’t work

ok, we will need to try to reinstall the operating system, it wll not touch your files but programs you will need to install again.

To do this

Power off the mac

Then choose to reinstall the OS and tell me please if it then starts.

Still didn’t work

Did it actually complete the reinstall though?

Thanks

It is the Sata port on the hard drive that has faulted, this now confirms it

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the Mac to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you