Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

The storage indicator says that there is 99 gigs of Other…

Customer Question
The storage indicator says...

The storage indicator says that there is 99 gigs of Other but I can't find what other "is" I have deleted files, pictures, downloads and documents and that only got rid of 1.5 gigs. How do I find out what "other" is so I can delete it.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Apple device?

El Capitan

Technician's Assistant: Did the application come with an uninstaller, either on the installation disc or in the application's folder on your Mac?

Idk. would that be in system prefs?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mac
12/17/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 5 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

In OS X El Capitan or earlier, “Other” files are those that your Mac doesn't recognize as belonging to any other category. These include files within disk images or archives, data stored by apps such as Contacts or Calendar, and app plug-ins or extensions. When your Mac is in Safe Mode, all files are categorized as Other.

Therefore, you will not really be able to easily know exactly what those "other" files are to go to them and delete them directly.

this all started because iphotos doesn't launch anymore when I connect my iphone. I can't upgrade my ios because there is not enough room because of "other" any suggestions.
no. i want to fix it myself if you have any suggestions I can use.

Sorry, Please ignore any offers for remote assist as those are automated and not sent by me personally.

You are probably also noticing that iphoto is no longer as Apple discontinued iphoto and created what is now called the photos app. So you will need to open "photos" app now instead. However, like I said "Other" files does not mean that they are not needed files as they could be files you need.

There are some files you can try and delete that are not for sure needed such as cache.

How to remove cached files:

1. Click on your desktop or select the Finder icon from the Dock.
  2. Select the Go menu in the upper left corner of the screen.
  3. Click on Go to Folder.

4. Type ~/Library/caches into the text box. A list of caches from active apps will appear on your desktop.

5. Select the app folder you wish to remove the cache from.
  6. Right-click (or control-click) on the app folder.
  7. Select Move to Trash.

You can even check your downloads folder as there is probably a lot of files you do not need. That is because if you have downloaded these files already that means you may have already installed them to your computer so you don't need the download file already. But you can go through and delete the ones you know for sure you dont need.

How to remove downloaded files

3. Click on Downloads.

4. Select the file you wish to remove.
  5. Right-click (or control-click) on the file.
  6. Select Move to Trash.

Of course you can always delete any apps, music or pics you do not need as those are big files as well.

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

I did that. There are only three apps that did not come already preloaded. I did see that the photos app will not launch until I upgrade but like I said I don't have enough room to do that.

Try holding Option+Command down on the keyboard and then click the photos icon to open and see if it will repair the photos database.

Jon
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast