Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I can't get into my Preferences list of passwords with my…

Customer Question
I can't get into...

I can't get into my Preferences list of passwords with my IMAC user passwords. Everything is wrong with the computer and the iPhone. The last "help" I got on an Apple call did the following, which seems to have adversely affected everything: 1. Had me create a new password ***** link iCloud, computer and iPhone, but does not replace my computer user password; 2. Supposedly this would allow my iPhone to add iPhone photos automatically to the computer; so far, it hasn't. 3. The iPhone is also acting up and keeps telling me it's not "backed up" but won't accept either my new (all purpose?) password ***** my regular IMAC password ***** although I can get into Safari it's a very slow process.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

I have used both my Apple ID and user password ***** so many years, they are as familiar as my first name. I was unaware I even HAD a password ***** my iPhone. I couldn't use any password ***** open my iPhone today, but got in with a passcode.

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

A volunteer (I'm 85 years old and Arlington provides such a service), who had me put my computer into recovery...but when I had to respond to that, it wouldn't accept my valid IMAC user password. I went through that process various times, and (needless to say) the entire Christmas season has been ruined for me...I know that's not exactly pertinent, but I am desperate. Trying to negotiate all this by phone when I'm hearing impaired and my fingers tremble has added to the problem.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that sums it up generally.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mac
12/18/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 2 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! I am Justin. Let me take a chance to look over your question. If you have any additional details please type it in and hit the reply to expert button.

There are a lot of things going on it seems. Can you start with the first issue you are having?

I've been struggling with this thing for weeks so can't begin to recall everything that was suggested/tried in those many hours of futile calls. Several times a "volunteer" put it into recovery, but then there was no one to help me when the recovery period was over and it wouldn't accept my two trusty and longterm passwords: one for my iMac and one for AOL. The trouble began when my iPhone began to ask for a password (I had never even known I had an iPhone password ***** I had used it for more than a year without entering anything (except, now and then, a passcode). I stopped using that some time ago, but in one of my help sessions I was asked to create a 6-word passcode, which will let me perform some functions, but it's always a hassle to get in because it informs me the iPhone hasn't been backed up. (Also, I don't want to have to put six digits each time I want to check the phone, but I think I'm blocked from getting rid of it.
On one of the "help" sessions, the apple tech had me create a new password ***** link ICloud and iPhone and computer (this was supposed to supplement, NOT replace, my Apple ID (my email address) and not my computer user password; and, fortunately, my user password ***** continued to allow me to open the computer. However, it takes more time, and I think my private WIFI has been changed; the computer functions have been slow. And my iPhone is no longer sending photos to my Photo.
Neither my two current AOL and IMAC passwords, nor the new password ***** I was told to create to function (to connect?) all three to iCloud are accepted on my iPhone, so apparently my phone is the problem. Getting help by phone is arduous and exhausting because I am hearing impaired and my fingers begin trembling (some other impairment presumably related to my age of 85) and that also protracts the agony, I have spent and inordinate amount of time and ruined my entire holiday season. So I hope it can finally be resolved and I can resume a normal life. Of course, given the above impediments, it would be lovely if the answer were so obvious you could give me results without a telephone conversation but, if not, of course we can go through connecting the device to you. It is already rather late here, so perhaps it would be best to make an afternoon appointment for either Tuesday the 19th or Wednesday the 20th? Thank you. *****

It is going to take me a bit to get through this wall of information. Give me a bit.

No,I do not wish, nor can I afford, to pay more than was initially proposed and I have paid. I have learned not to be manipulated by "bait and switch," and your advertisements promised a solution for $40 which I have paid. I'm sure you will agree that was our understanding, and I appreciate the help I'll receive.

That is automatic as many users need remote assistance. Ignore it if you feel otherwise.

Lets do this. I think you need to talk to someone on the phone. I cannot provide that service for free. With that being said I previously worked for Apple so I have a number that is unlisted. I am going to submit a refund on your behalf and I want you to call this number and choose Tech Support from the options. This way you are able to get what you need the best way possible at no cost. Merry Christmas!

‭(866)(###) ###-####

I am so sorry I disappeared from the conversation. My phone rang and I thought it was you calling and answered and it turned out to be a friend, who really needed to speak to someone immediately and at some length, so I couldn't get back to the site for quite a long interval!
I am really disappointed I can't (again) get help, but I will call the number you gave me and hope it is not once more a wild goose chase.

This should be the last wild goose chase. Tier 2 Apple Support is the best in the business.

Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius