Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I need to reset my password on my Mac Air. I went for a time…

Customer Question
Hi! I need to...

Hi! I need to reset my password ***** my Mac Air. I went for a long time without signing on and now I don’t remember the password. Can you help.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

Over a year ago

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

I did...no luck.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No, thank you.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mac
12/18/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Josh, Mac Support replied 8 months ago
Josh, Mac Support

Hello:

I'm so very sorry it took so long for someone to offer assistance to you. My name is ***** ***** I've just come online and saw your question waiting. Before we start, can you please confirm if you still need assistance with your question? Thank you!

Since no one has responded, my answer is yes, I still need assistance.

Do you know which macOS is on the computer?

No...Mac purchased in 2014
Mac Support Specialist: Josh, Mac Support replied 7 months ago
  1. Turn off your Mac (choose Apple > Shut Down).
  2. Press the power button while holding down Command-R. The Mac will boot into Recovery mode. When you see the load bar appear you can let go of the keys. It may take a few minutes to load.
  3. Select Disk Utility and press Continue.
  4. Choose Utilities > Terminal.
  5. Enter resetpassword (all one word, lowercase letters) and press Return
  6. Select the volume containing the account (normally this will be your Main hard drive).
  7. Choose the account to change with Select the User Account.
  8. Enter a new password ***** re-enter it into the password *****
  9. Enter a new password ***** related to the password.
  10. Click Save.
  11. A warning will appear that the password ***** changed, but not the Keychain Password. Click OK.
  12. Click Apple > Shut Down.

Hello!

I just wanted to take a moment to check back with you to see if you need more assistance. If you are all set, I would appreciate it if you could take a moment to rate my service with 5 stars, at the top of the page. If you need further assistance, just let me know using the reply box provided so we can work together to solve the issue.

Thank you!