Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

How much does this tech advice cost? I have an older mac…

Customer Question
How much does this...

How much does this tech advice cost?

Technician's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Mac Technician's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

I have an older mac running OS 10.6.8, I bought this mac from a deceased friend a few years ago. Has gotten slower and more problem prone each day. I just get the "whirling ball of death" whenever I try to go to a different website. Have to turn it off and turn on again every time.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Mac?

Can I reload OS 10.6.8 to this computer, wiping everything out, and start all over again?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Mac? What have you tried so far?

Has been going on for months. Only thing that works is turning off and on again. I like this computer, and wish I could fix it.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I just paid $400 to Newlite tech to remove "malware and viruses" my computer told me I have, with a very loud emergency announcement. Malware is removed, they tell me, but the computer runs worse than ever now.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
12/17/2017
Mac Support Specialist: David, Mac Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
David, Mac Support Specialist

Hi my name is ***** ***** to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question and will post a reply ASAP.

It sounds like it would be a good idea to erase and reinstall from scratch. This will put the newest OS this Mac can run on it, but that's a good thing performance wise. You will lose all data on it, but it will not have any extra background apps running, it should perform a lot better.

Do you have a abackup of data that you do not want to lose, and are you ready to erase & reinstall?

I am ready to erase and reinstall. Do i have to reinstall os 10.6.8? This MAC was given to me by a deceased friend, and I have been using it with all his passwords, can I reinstall the Mac as mine? 10.6.8 is ok with me if it is necessary.

We can reinstall Mac OS X 10.6.8 if you have the discs that came with this Mac.

If not we can try erase and reinstall but it will install a newer operating system, the newest available for this Mac.

Do you have those discs?