Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My daughter and I switched out computers. I gave her my Mac…

Customer Question
My daughter and I...

My daughter and I switched out computers. I gave her my Mac Book Pro and she gave me her Mac OS X. She forgot her password ***** it won’t allow me to update software. Can you help me.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

She doesn’t know.

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

I tried something as a guest user but it didn’t work.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Not at this moment

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mac
12/17/2017
Mac Support Specialist: GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 months ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist

Hi there! My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this trouble. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

Ok

On the login screen of the computer that belonged to your daughter, what do you see above the password *****? Do you see an email address or just a username?

Her name: afkari
Sorry I’m slow.
User name

That's ok. I was hoping that you'd see an email address because that would mean that it used her Apple password ***** can easily be reset. We can still fix this, it will just be a little more complicated. Please give me just a few minutes to type up detailed instructions.

She has two user names and one guest. I use the guest site. The other user name is Condi.

Thank you for that information. Please follow the steps below to reset the ADMIN password:

Power off your Mac. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 10 seconds. This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu. Click on the “Utilities” menu in top bar , then select “Terminal". Type: resetpassword (All one word , no spaces) Press return. On the Reset Password ***** select “hard disk” from the menu bar at the top, then select the user account from the drop down menu. Confirm the user account, change password ***** Save. Next click on the Apple icon and select Shutdown. Turn it back on.

You may need to do this for each user name.

Ok, I’ll give this a try.

Thank you. Please keep me posted. If you get stuck on any of the steps or have questions, just let me know. I am committed to working with you until the problem is fully resolved.

I’ve tried this several times. It never goes to the utilities menu.

Does it go to the regular login screen? Getting the timing right can be very tricky. Please try again, pressing and holding the command and R keys until you hear the Apple startup chime.

Maybe we can do the remote repair. I’ve had this too long not to be able to use it properly
Still the same

I'm sorry. I would be happy to do that. Unfortunately, you have to be logged in to an admin account and connected to the internet in order to do SECURE REMOTE ASSISTANCE. Please login to the Guest account and check to see which specific version of the Apple operating system you are using. From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac. Your version of OS X appears directly below. Please let me know what you see there.

I am connected to the internet in the guest site.
10.6.8

Thank you for that information. Please give me just a moment to review our options. Would you be open to re-installing the Operating System? Is there any data on the computer that you are hesitant to lose?

No. I just want to able to stream my music and watch Netflix. Will that be possible as this appears to be a fairly old computer.

Yes, that should definitely be possible. Please give me just a moment to tailor instructions to your specific operating system.

Let's try an alternative method of resetting your password ***** we resort to a complete reinstall. Please do the following

1. Power on or restart your Mac.
  2. At the chime (or grey screen if sound if off), hold down Command+S
  3. At the prompt, type fsck -fy and press Enter. Allow the system checks to complete.
  4. Type mount -uw / Next, press Enter.
  5. Type launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist . Next, press Enter.
  6. Type ls /Users . Press Enter.
  7. Type dscl . -passwd /Users/Condi password . NoteL Type a new password ***** your choice rather than actually typing password.) Press Enter.
  8. Type reboot and press Enter.

Please try this and keep me posted as to the results. I will continue to work with you until your problem is resolved.

Still did not work

Thank you for the update. Can you please provide additional information? At what point did it go wrong? With more information I can better determine what steps we should take next. Do you have the original installation media that came with this MAC? It may be on a cd or on a usb drive.

It’s been a while. Let’s just call it quits and I’ll takr it into a Apple store.

I will opt out of the question in the hopes that another expert may be able to help you. The next expert will see our entire conversation, so there will be no need to repeat anything. You will be notified by email when another expert has begun working on your question. Thank you for your patience. Have a good afternoon and evening!