Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

It suddenly says it needs activation, but is several years…

Customer Question
It suddenly says it...

It suddenly says it needs activation, but is several years old.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of Apple device do you have? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Ipad 2; I can't get to the setup menu so don't know exactly what version it's currently on

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iPad? What have you tried so far?

Just this morning. It happened after I charged it. Tried to turn off and restart, and it just keeps telling me the activation server is unavailable

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Is the server actually down? Or is this a known problem?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
12/17/2017
Mac Support Specialist: David, Mac Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
David, Mac Support Specialist

Hi my name is ***** ***** to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question and will post a reply ASAP.

The activation server is up: https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

Why does it say it's not?

It says it's unavailable because you need to be connected to WiFi or Cellular data.

Also there could be a software problem. In these cases it's best to try connecting it to a computer running iTunes and activating it.

Try connecting it to your computer and opening iTunes it should activate.

Cannot get to iTunes am not at home. WiFi is connected

The service is available but there is something wrong with the WiFi you are currently connected to, it could be blocking access to some service.

You can try a different WiFi network or wait and connect it to iTunes and it will activate with a good connection.

Ok. Will try another network.

Ok, let me know how it goes and if you need any more help. I think you will be good from here though.

Please take a moment to rate my answer, much appreciated!

Can't evaluate yet. Maybe later if it works

Ok, no problem. Let me know if you need any help later.

I will . Thank you

You're welcome!